Mac OS X 10.4.4 released...

Convert

Tech
Just saw it on my Software Update. It's about 27MB... sorry I can't find the information about it though.

EDIT:

The 10.4.4 Update delivers overall improved reliability and compatibility for Mac OS X v10.4 and is recommended for all users.

It includes fixes for:

- SMB/CIFS and NFS network file services
- Bluetooth wireless access
- Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, RAW camera support, including updated ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers
- Spotlight indexing and searching
- AppleScript, iChat, DVD Player, and Safari applications
- Dashboard widgets: Calendar and Stocks
- Software Update and Sync Services
- compatibility with USB and FireWire devices and third party applications
- previous standalone security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n302810.

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798.

27 MB if your system is up to date. The Delta Updater downloadable from Apple is 55 MB, and the combo updater (recommended!) is 120 MB and can update any 10.4.x version to 10.4.4. You can get it here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosxupdate1044combo.html ...

We had a poll about 10.4.3 combo/Software Update and statistically, people who used Software Update instead of the combo updater had more problems. Look here: http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257010&highlight=10.4.3+combo+updater

I think we can _safely_ assume that generally, the combo updater is the better option. Not only because of "less problems", but also because you'll have it for later reference (if you need to update other systems or want to reinstall Tiger without having to update 120 MB right after installing...).

I'm updated. Only thing I've noticed different is in Get Info an application is identified as "Universal" under the "Kind" label, instead of in a separate "architecture" label.

FINALLY Dashboard widgets give me a _nice_ flawless ripple effect. First time since 10.4.0 in fact. Earlier, it always hicked-up at the beginning. :) Plus: New widgets, of course, just like mentioned in the keynote.

Haven't noticed anything too different...other than the Calendar widget...the colors are a bit on the annoying side. No problems on the install though.

My dashboard ripple was still a little hesitant at first but it seems to have gotten a little smoother after doing it a few times.

Ran the combo updater, no problems yet. Safari seems the same to me. Everything seems the same, really. Which is good.

It took quite a long time to boot up for some reason. I was panicking for a minute there, but after a while it moved beyond the "gray apple" screen. So don't be shocked if that happens to you. Just get a snack.

Oh, and by the way, if you don't want to wait for an updated version of PithHelmet, you can make the current one work with the latest version of Safari by editing the "/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/PithHelmet.bundle/Contents/Info.plist" file (in any text editor). Change the "MaxBundleVersion" key for Safari to something higher (I chose 516, up from the old 416). It seems to work fine.

omfg, they STILL haven't fixed the bug that makes Premiere crash every time you try to export a movie.

I swear to god I'm about to loose it.

cartman_pissed_off_t_shirt_1.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the extra widgets Steve mentioned in his Keynote.

There's calendar, ESPN, some Winter Tracker thing, White Pages, etc.

Well, I _did_ mention them. Dunno what you mean. But they just didn't seem that important either. :)

I like the new Calendar widget more than the old one. But I hardly ever use Dashboard (call me crazy), so I don't really care. I wish I could put real windows in Dashboard; then I'd use it all the time. (Also, I'm on a Mac mini, so I don't get the #1 reason to use Dashboard in the first place: the ripple effect. ;))

Still no problems to report, but no noticeable improvements, either.

i had a bug in 10.4.3 that's carried across (10.4.4 combo)

picture22ui.png

lots of text placements are too high (the large date, 'news', and 'scores' etc, and also other characters are funny, like degrees is an accented Z for somereason, and on the widget manager, it ends in É.

i've trashed plists etc and repaired permissions...

hey 10.4.4 is performing really well here. I said that on 10.4.3 update too, sorry.
I just wished they'd slipped in iWeb for us :)

Hm. Although this certainly is the wrong thread for a 10.4.3 problem that "moved over"... _Did_ you try logging into a different account on the same machine? (Create a test account if you don't have a secondary account yet.) If the problem persists for a clean new user, I'd go with a reinstall of Tiger, hard as it may sound for a minor problem like the placing of some type in Dashboard...

bugger that for a game of soldiers... i don't even like using dashboard!

thank you though, and sorry....

EDIT: 10.4.4 - very, very nice! the update, of course, reset my Quartz Debug settings (i had beam syncing turned off, to speed up exposé), but Exposé is very very fast once again, panther fast... i shan't be fiddling with quartz debugger again!

Not sure, the brightness slider in preferences for displays pulses now. Not sure if it did that before.

Back