Mac OS X Constantly Freezes!!!!!

dombird

Registered
I am using a B&W G3 450 with OS9.2.1 & OSX.1.1 on another drive. It has the original ultrascsi card with OS 9.2.1 on the first 9GB drive & the second 18GB drive is partitioned equally into three with OSX.1.1 on the first partition. For some reason when I boot into OSX i cannot use it for more than 30seconds without it freezing. It took me at least 6 attempts to install it in the first place and it just freezes when i do anything! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Try Apple's hardware test CD if one came with your system. I'm 0/2 with Kingston Value RAM. They replaced the first one and I've used it since without a problem, but now I'm returning the second. Techtool and the Apple startup routines say the RAM is OK. Even the quick test on the CD says it's ok. Only the extended test reported a problem. The intial RAM passed the firmware update test everyone had a problem with.

OS X is touchy on RAM, I haven't had a problem with OS 9.

For the first chip with 10.0.0 I had kernal panics. This last one, with 10.1.1 it was very subtle, i.e. freezing in the middle of the night, more frequent application crashes, etc.

Not sure if this helps, but I'd definitely take a look.

Did you install from authentic Apple CD's? I have heard of people having these problems with CD's they burned themselves.

Heh, I'm sure that's a line that Apple likes to feed people. MS said the same thing about burned copies of XP.

I must admit I used the version of OS X that comes with G4's but is there a difference?It states in the readme it can be used on any G3, even beige so what's the problem? Unfortunately I cannot use the apple hardware test because it is for G4's.

Back