Mac OS X server 10.5 down

pcervino

Registered
Greetings,

I had a problem with ACL and as I was trying to fix it the minimac server seized up. The only solution was to reboot it. The problem is that after that it just enters a reboot loop. I have tried all the tricks I could find in the forums.

Tried safe booting (doesn't work)
Tried booting from start-up disk (doesn't recognise the optical drive + ejects dvd)
Tried booting from the network or over firewire doesn't work.
Tried booting as single user and tried the various fsck combination and mounting the disk to no avail. Didn't go any further as I don't know UNIX.
Tried the various boot key combinations.

The closest I've come to fixing the problem is starting the Installation Disk on a Mac connected over firewire with the server. This takes me all the way to the disk utility screen and tells me my drive has no problems which obviously means that it's a permission issue. unfortunately when I press the Repair Disk Permission button it returns a "failed the underlying task reported failure on exit".

I'm at my wit's end. Anybody has any further suggestions?

Cheers

I had a similar problem, recently w. my rack mount G4 xserve. It started with the server just randomly freezing. I decided to re-build the server on another disk. While I copied files off the old disk I noticed that the original system disk kept disappearing from the server (randomly). It also took several attempts to run disk repair & disk permission repair because the disk simply disappeared.

It made sence that is there is some hardware problem with the system disk the system would freeze.

If you cannot boot from an optical drive or and external drive, you may have a hardware problem with the disk controller - yikes. If the server is under warranty you may want to bring into your local Apple store...

Good Luck

hello guys When running MySQL and PHP on the same Mac OS X 10.4 server, you may find that PHP cannot connect to MySQL. IS this MAC OS X server problem????

Back