.mac reliability and speed

drmoldawer

Registered
I gave .Mac a shot a couple of years ago when it first rolled out. I stuck with it for months and months but was continuously disappointed by its speed and reliability. I've got a new mac now and am tempted to switch back for its integration with iPhoto and its simple, good-looking templates. Any .mac users out there with an opinion on .mac's current value (and any alternatives that might be a better choice)?

As .Mac has become more and more integrated into OS X the speed and reliability has definitely improved. How fast the file transfers are depends on your connection speed as well as the .Mac speed, but it is reasonable. If you create the .Mac mirror on your own HD the actual upload/download speed doesn't get any faster, but the transfers are taking place in background and the apparent speed is as fast as your hard drive. The recently increased disk allocation and the ability to change the balance between email and other files is a nice feature and makes it much more usable for me. I find myself using .Mac in ways I never anticipated.

Back