Mac Won't Startup Properly

jaybone

Registered
I have an i-mac from 2002, it was the system whose base looks like a globe cut in half, it originally had mac OS 10.1 on it, but I upgraded to OS 10.3 about a year ago. The other night I was trying to update Quicktime so it would play AVI files. I downloaded DIVX player and another file that contained the codecs for Quicktime so it could play the AVI files. When I downloaded the codecs and dropped them within the Quicktime folder I was still unable to play the AVI files. I dumped the downloaded files in the recycle bin.

I then shut down my computer for the night and today when I turned the system on I the system would only boot to a certain point. I have the background showing, no information bar across the top and the program bar is available on the bottom of the screen when I move the mouse there. When I click on any program within the program bar it starts up like normal and then before the program is working it closes and I get the report as follows:

THE APPLICATION SAFARI HAS UNEXPECTEDLY QUIT.
THE SYSTEM AND OTHER APPLICATIONS HAVE NOT BEEN AFFECTED.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUBMIT A BUG REPORT TO SEND TO APPLE?

This happens with every single program I try to startup from the program menu bar. Just leaving the system alone at this point, every few seconds the curser turns into the spinning ball like the system is trying to finish a task. I tried to reboot with the original install disk (OS 10.1 not 10.3) but I am having trouble getting it to start from the original install disk.

What do you think??

Back