MacBook - I want to use an external camera not the built-in one.

sgould

Registered
I have a Black MacBook with the built-in iSight camera. This works well with Photo Booth and Skype and is recognised by both and works with both.

On my desktop MacMini I have a Logitech USB webcam. As it is on a cable I wanted to use the Logitech with the MacBook. I plugged it in and it is recognised as an alternative by Skype, but not by Photo Booth or iMovie.

I want to use it with iMovie to make a short video of a maintenance procedure, but I can't find any preference setting that will discover the Logitech cam, let alone allow me to choose it.

Any ideas?

if its under a logitech pro 4000, it won't work with apple. I tried downloading the logitech quickcam software and no luck. In boot camp if you have windows running, it could work

Alan

Thanks! :)

I'll have a play with various things tomorrow. Until I saw the list on wiki I didn't realise how many Logitech cameras there are.

I have a Logitech Vision Pro, bought last week at the Apple Store in London. It only has Mac logo/USB2.0 on the side of the box. Mac 10.4.11 or later.

Spec includes the comment "up to 30 frames/sec on Skype and iChat" and it works with Skype on the MacMini and the MacBook, so it can't be far away from full Mac recognition. We shall see tomorrow.

Had another go. Tried the Macam install, but the Logitech camera is not recognised :(

Anyone recommend a camera that would be QuickTime compliant (or whatever is needed) that would stream video to the MacBook?

Or do I need a proper video camera and then transfer the data later?

Back