MacBook running XP wont access wireless

johnvillari

Registered
XP sees the router and prompts me to connect yet it just sits there and in the tray there is a network icon with a red "X" in it. It wont connect wirelessly and I have restarted 3 times. Please help.

try a Windows forum...? It works perfectly on my MacBook with an AirPort Extreme base station with WEP authentication. If you have installed the BootCamp CD, the driver for the AirPort hardware inside the MacBook should be okay, too.

I'm assuming that the icon you're seeing is the one for the Ethernet port. That particular icon with the "X" on it means that the Ethernet port is up but that there's no cable connected to it.

You might want to head to the Device Manager and check for any hardware that's been detected that doesn't show to have drivers (they usually have a yellow question mark on them). As for the wireless, I know the Airport Extreme uses a Broadcom chipset so you might have to head over to their website and download a Windows driver for that particular chipset (I believe it's the Broadcom BCM4306 chipset).

As for Windows support, I would have to second fryke's recommendation about heading over to a Windows forum for more detailed Windows help especially if you're just using Windows as your main operating system on your Intel Mac. While we do help with the occasional Windows problems, our main focus on the site is to help those people using Mac OS X and Classic Mac OS on their Macs and how to integrate them into every facet of their lives.

Hope this helps. :)

I fixed it -- It was a problem with airport I just reset my router and cable modem and poof it worked for both the dark side and the mac side-- thanks anyways guys

Back