MacOS 8.6 on G4?

almeath

Registered
Is it possible to run MacOS 8.6 on a G4 400mhz (AGP) system? I bought a second-hand model with no system cd, but it will not accept 8.6 off my B&W G3 system cd.

Some sites say the first 'sawtooth' G4s came with MacOS 8.6, but others refer to 9.0 as the minimum system for these Macs.

Can anyone help clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Usually, system-specific install CDs will not work. You'll need a generic, or system-specific install that fits your computer.

The only 8.6 that is going to run on that system is the 8.6 that it shipped with.

The generic 8.6 wasn't designed for that hardware. If you don't have the original software installer, then you have to bump up to the next generic release... 9.0.

Apple doesn't provide support on generic OS CD/DVDs for models that they have yet to release. The generic 8.6 CDs were printed before the G4 existed.

Some of the early versions of the G4 did come with OS 8.6, however, it was a "special" version of 8.6 which was included on the system install CDs that came with the Mac. A retail 8.6 CD version will not work.

Why do you want to install 8.6? It's basically obsolete. Most web sites do not work well with browsers that operate on 8.6. I have OS 9.2.2 & Panther on my G4 400 AGP. If you have some apps for 8.6, most will also run on 9.x.

Cheers, Tom
Mac Troubleshooting, Maintenance & Tips
http://www.geocities.com/texas_macman/MacTroubleshoot.html

well, he wanted to run os 8.6 because thats what he had. but the other guys are right, unless its the cd that came with the system, you'll have to get a later os installer. if you really want to stay in classic, go for os 9.2.2, other wise i'd say go with at least os x 10.2.8.

Back