MacOsX 10.4.4 smb network with winxp

smuu

Registered
Hi u all. Finaly today i recived my first mac (brand new 15" Powerbook). I am very happy about this computer but i run into big problem immediately. Problem is that i cannot connect to my windows xp's network. I can ping it and i can also connect from pc to mac. I get this kind of error message allways when i am trying to connect to smbserver;

mount_smbfs: error from NetrShareEnum call: exception = 382312522
mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed: syserr = Permission denied
mount_smbfs: could not login to server WINTOOSA: syserr = Permission denied

I tried all i can find from forums but none of those helped. Only thing that i havent tested yet is that keychain thing because i don't know how to do it. I created new user for winxp with password but it did'nt help either. I type in finder apple + k and then smb://10.0.0.4/ it connects to server and asks me to fill username and password. I tried all my useraccounts usernames and passwords from winxp and i can't get connected. I also has checked winxp's firewall to off so it does'nt block traffic. In winxp i shared one folder with name " Mac ". I have tested also to connect to smb://10.0.0.4/Mac but solution was same.

I'd really appreciate if someone smarter than me can help me through this thing.

Is the winxp box in a Active Directory domain? you are very close - do you know the administrator password to yoru xpbox?

Are you sure you're not running any other firewall software on that PC? Usually it seems like a firewall would cause that problem.

Also, do any of the accounts on the Windows box have passwords? If not, then you'll never be able to access any shares as Windows doesn't allow accounts with blank passwords to access shares as a security measure. It can be turned off, but you have to go into the Local Policy settings for the Windows box and disable that feature. Or, you could just give the accounts (or the one account you want to use) the necessary passwords.

You will need to know if the server you are connecting to is an XP box and there is a service on there that MUST be turned on otherwise you will not be able to connect to that share. Contact your admin and they can turn the service on there will be no interruption to your server. Oh and the folder you are trying to access must be shared. YOu can share out the folder by going to properties and sharing and giving full access to yourself.

This is the 2nd week I have an iMac at home and I had the same problem, at first it worked (other XP installation, used for my work) and then i also got these strange messages...

Fortunally i figured it out after hours!
Windows XP Home and Proffessional use Simple File Sharing, when enabled this restricts access to an windows share to only one user account, most probably the guest account..
When a computer is in a Windows domain, Simple File Sharing is disabled automatically because most shares in a company network use individual usernames and passwords and not a single guest account/password.

So go to your folder options in windows xp and change these settings, if you have windows xp home i guess you have to enable the guest account for that or do more research on this subject. Also change the password on that account to make sure..

Goodluck!

Back