Major problem. Please help.

wenis

Registered
I accidently installed xp over my os x partition. My disk is now recognized as NTFS:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/wenis_/leopard2.jpg

Nothing works, there is still a windows partition, but there is no information on it seeing how it was written over the leopard partition. I can boot from the installation disk, but that is it.

Seeing how disk utility can't read the format, is there anyway to reformat using terminal? How do I fix this, i'm lost.

Update*

Forgot to mention that I was running the xp install through bootcamp when I overwrote os x if that isn't already obvious.

You should be able to modify the partition map from the top-level of the hard drive (click on the drive, not the partition). I'm not 100% sure that you can change the size of FAT32 partitions, however, and it will probably cause problems with XP. In any event, you can still reformat the while drive in Disk Utility, wiping all data.

I figured it all out. It actually wouldn't let me use ANY of the disk utility options until I rebooted with the XP disc and deleted the partition I had created.. After I did that I was able to use disk utility and reformat.. Problem solved!

Back