MBP won' go into Sleep mode on its on...

cmalberto

Registered
I have a brand new MBP 15". I upgraded to Leopard a day after I bought. This is my first experience with a Mac so I am still learning. So far so good. However, I have noticed that my MBP will not go into sleep mode from non-use while plugged into power. I have it set(Custom) for 2 hours. Not sure where to go for help other than here. I am guessing someone probably has seen this before.

I am not sure if there is a log to go look at or where it might be. Any help on what to do or look for will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Mickey

Yes - it goes to sleep when I close the lid or press the power button and select sleep. I have tried on power and battery. Neither works. I have adjusted the times down to 5 minutes. Still no go.

I gotta think there is service(what are the called on the Mac) or something preventing Sleep mode. I just don't know how to find this at least yet.

I have not tried the AUTO OFF feature in prefences which could work around the issue But if I could figure this out, I might begin to learn something about the technical workings of the Mac.

--Mickey

Will it work if you move the sleep slider all the way to the left so it will go to sleep in one minute? One thing I might ask is if you have something like the DVD player running at the same time. There is an way for programs like that to prevent the system for sleeping since it kind of is annoying when the thing falls asleep during a movie or presentation.

Look at Console (Applications> Utilities) when it's not going to sleep.
For seeing faster what is causing it, set time for sleep e.g. 5 minutes, and see what happens. If something is keeping it awake, something should be showing in console.log and system.log.

Will it work if you move the sleep slider all the way to the left so it will go to sleep in one minute? One thing I might ask is if you have something like the DVD player running at the same time. There is an way for programs like that to prevent the system for sleeping since it kind of is annoying when the thing falls asleep during a movie or presentation.

I have tried sliding to about 2-3 minutes and nothing still. I haven't used the DVD player yet. I have added a USB hub to the equation that may effect this. I had a USB Drive(turned off), keypad/mouse(chained to the keypad), and a iPhone cable(not in use). The hub is powered.

Having said that, I unplugged the hub before leaving this morning and will see what happens when I get back this afternoon. Could be??

I have looked on the Apple site and they have some threads about going into SMC(or something like that) and changing the behavoir of the SLEEP(1,2, or 3). I haven't done and will wait before I look at that.

More later. Thanks for the reply

--Mickey

Look at Console (Applications> Utilities) when it's not going to sleep.
For seeing faster what is causing it, set time for sleep e.g. 5 minutes, and see what happens. If something is keeping it awake, something should be showing in console.log and system.log.

I have seen the console log in utilities. Didn't think about that. Not sure I have seen the sytem log however. Can I point the console to look at the system log with the same utility or something.

Excellent idea about watching this with the sleep set to minimum. That should give me some visibilty of what is not happening.

See my previous post on unplugging the USB. Will see if that helps.

Also, I haven't rebooted in quite a few days. I will do that at somepoint since I had done some installations and what not. Was hoping to not resort to this since it reminds me similar events with Windows.

Thanks for the reply...more later.

--Mickey

Well USB doesn't seem to be the problem. I will check out the links and see where that leads me...more to come.

--Mickey

Back