migrating osx to a new mac

rongor

Registered
I have the good fortune to have purchased one of the new 1.42G dual powermacs. I won't get it for 6 weeks or so I have been told but I have been pondering the best way to move settings etc from my present machine.

I knew exactily what to do in OS9 and have an idea how to use the library as my source but not sure the most efficient way to install and migrate my current prefs and seettings. I was wandering if anyone had any info or references. David Pogue's Jaguar book doesn 't help and I have not seen much online.

Ron Goren

to keep your current system configuration, just copy your current os 9 system folder. it will need to be named "system folder" when you copy it to the new PM. that should be it.
os x has an 'app' called System Preferences thru which you must manage your prefs and settings. you will have to set these up from scratch as i remember. just be sure you have all your IP settings written down as this will be the most involved thign to re-enter but if you have the info, it's not hard. if you do get stumped, remember you can normally use classic and connect and people here should be able to help you if your isp is stumped or unsupportive.

For OSX, save and move the following folders:
- all the Users folder (including for each user the Library folder: it includes all user's preferences !)
- the Library folder (it includes the system level preferences)

When you have your new Mac, push the content these folders back without the Library folders. Then copy the content of you library folders. You will not be able to get all preferences copied, but most will.

Now you feel like on your previous mac...

Back