mount Shares according to location

johnd0e

Registered
Hi everyone,

Recently I added a small Debian "server" to support my powerbook when being at home.
Mounting the shares (iTunes/iPhoto Library, Backups, Documentation) manually / using a small perl script works without any problems, but tends to get on my nerves.
Which is the best way to make it happen automatically, i.e. when switching the network location to my local LAN the pb should automatically start the perl script to mount the shares?

Thanks for any advice/help/clues in advance...

cheers,

johnd0e

] Powerbook 15" 1.25GHz 1GB RAM SuperDrive Panther [

You may want to look into an app called Location X (I think that's the name). It is basically a more OS 9-like Location Manager. One feature, IIRC, is the ability to run scripts upon changing locations.

AppleScript's new UI scripting abilities in Panther could probably achieve something similar. I'm an AppleScript newbie, so that is beyond my grasp. You could check out the MacScripter BBS and some of the AppleScript gurus over there could probably point you in the right direction.

I am having a similar but opposite problem. I just setup a redhat9 home server for print server, storage and backup like you. I'm sharing drives on the redhat (server) end tho and had to modify the fstab file to get the ntfs drives to mount. i'm sharing them now thru SAMBA and can see them from my powerbookG4 but can't authenticate, instead I get "The alias "localhost" could not be opened, becausethe original item cannot be found. I was hoping 10.3.3 would fix it but nothin.

Anyone else run across this?

mark

johnd0e said:
Hi everyone,

Recently I added a small Debian "server" to support my powerbook when being at home.
Mounting the shares (iTunes/iPhoto Library, Backups, Documentation) manually / using a small perl script works without any problems, but tends to get on my nerves.
Which is the best way to make it happen automatically, i.e. when switching the network location to my local LAN the pb should automatically start the perl script to mount the shares?

Thanks for any advice/help/clues in advance...

cheers,

johnd0e

] Powerbook 15" 1.25GHz 1GB RAM SuperDrive Panther [
:cool:

Back