.mov file to DVD

cieran

Registered
Hi. I'm new to DVD burning, and am not quite sure on how I'm supposed to do it. I have a 1.3 GB .mov file I want to burn to DVD, but I can't import it into iDVD. Since I only have 1 DVD-R right now, I didn't want to do trial and error :p

What will happen if I insert my blank DVD and drag the file onto it, and burn from the finder? Will it be a playable DVD on say an xbox, or will it just be stored as a file on the DVD?

Any help is appreciated, thanks! :)

If you have Quicktime Pro, load the .mov into QT player, then export it to a DV stream file. Then import THAT into iDVD.

Toast will probably convert it too. But it may take a while.

Also, "What will happen if I insert my blank DVD and drag the file onto it, and burn from the finder? Will it be a playable DVD on say an xbox, or will it just be stored as a file on the DVD? "

It will just be stored as a file on the DVD

Interesting. I would have thought QuickTime would be better integrated with Apple's iApps (iMovie and iDVD in particular) so as to avoid having to convert out and convert in. But as a Mac newbie myself, this is useful information. Thanks!

By the way, there's a Windows program (based on QuickTime, actually) called something like RAD Video Tools which can convert, among other things, QuickTime videos into many other formats (DivX/XviD AVI, Indeo AVI, uncompressed video) and it usually does so very quickly. Is there not something similar for Mac? Oddly RAD Video Tools is not available for Mac despite being based on QuickTime.

Freiheit said:
Is there not something similar for Mac? Oddly RAD Video Tools is not available for Mac despite being based on QuickTime.

Try DivX Doctor and DiVa.
DivX Doctor converts DivX Video to 3ivX Quicktime.
DiVa can be used to convert MPEG1 and MPEG2 to Quicktime-supported formats, and supports Cropping and Rescaling. Great for "Backing up" your DVD's to 3GPP so you can play them on your Mobile Phone ;)

Well I was actually concerned with converting QuickTime to other formats (like DVD) as cieran was asking, but thanks for the info.

Back