Movie Thumbnails as Icons in Finder

owaters

Registered
Hi,

I have been wondering how I can view a preview (thumbnail) of a movie in the finder as the files icon. I know this can be done with pictures by doing Apple-J and selecting the preview option, however, this doesnt seem to work for movies.

I have, however, noticed that some movie files do have a thumbnail icon. But some don't.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

You can take a screenshot and paste that into the icon field when you get-info on the movie file. That doesn't stick if you change the movie file AFAIK, but otherwise, it should work. Nothing automatic, I'm afraid.

The same stands for any file.

The .jpg file icon is created when the file is created. If it is created without its icon (wihout resources as would say "GraphicConverter", in memory of the old OS9), then the icon is not created by the Finder.

Maybe one could create (or it may even exist) a software that creates icons for all graphical file format. If this is quite simple for images, it is more complex for movies, as the first image of the movie is not always a good illustration of the movie itself.

chevy said:
Maybe one could create (or it may even exist) a software that creates icons for all graphical file format. If this is quite simple for images, it is more complex for movies, as the first image of the movie is not always a good illustration of the movie itself.

That's what I am looking for! Even windows XP shows thumbnails of movie files as the icon.

I've been looking for this too and I found out that Graphic Converter (Shareware $30 with free tryout - http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphcon.htm) will add icon previews to movies in batches. It uses the first frame, so if you've got a colour bars or black at the beginning it won't work, but for movies from digital cameras etc. it's fantastic.

chevy said:
The same stands for any file.

The .jpg file icon is created when the file is created. If it is created without its icon (wihout resources as would say "GraphicConverter", in memory of the old OS9), then the icon is not created by the Finder.

In finder menu , View/Show View Options/tick Show Preview Icon

icons appear as picture previews without any resource, but movies stay as quicktime icons ;)

Back