MS Office 2004 won't launch--possibly related to TimeMachine?

RandomHero

Registered
MacBookPro 17"

OS X 10.5.6

Problem: MS Office 2004 will not launch

Yesterday I accidentally deleted (permanently) an important folder from my computer. In an effort to resolve the situation myself, I downloaded Data Rescue II. Not realizing the program required an external HD to recover files, I ended up buying a My Book (1TB). When I hooked up the My Book to my computer, it asked if I wanted to use the external HD for Time Machine. I clicked yes, but then stopped the backup process when I realized how long it was going to take. Instead, I reopened Data Rescue II and selected My Book as the source for my recovered files. After about 45 min the program recovered all my deleted files. I searched them, found the ones I wanted and recycled the rest. Afterward, I let TimeMachine resume its backup, which took hours (is that normal?). Anyway, today, when I went to open PowerPoint, the app said, "PowerPoint cannot launch." And when I tried to open Word, I got this error message: "There is not enough memory or disk space to run Word." I am completely confounded. I still have 50 GB of free space on my HD and now 877 GB on my external HD. So far, all my other applications work. What is going on? I have already repaired disk permissions and restarted my computer--still no change. I would really like to avoid reinstalling MS Office, as I don't want to risk losing any data and I'm still not comfortable "backing up" files, templates, etc. I just hope this isn't a symptom of a much bigger problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a major project to finish, so I need Word and PowerPoint ASAP. Thanks in advance...and sorry for the novel.

Hi
You will need to re-install Office from disk it appears there are some missing files.
Its easy to backup user office files, just move this folder-
/User/yourusername/Documents/Microsoft User Data/
To another location and re-install.
Time machine does take a long time for initial backup once done it performs smaller backup based on your changes since last one. Personally I do not use time machine for me or my clients. I rather setup a custom script or use iBackup to do this, time machine has bugs and I would not like to rely on it for backup.
Ed

Back