MS SQL Install on Virtual PC

rpaboulder

Registered
Any idea why MS SQL will not install on Virtual PC 7.02. Gives services error, can't start, and then rolls back. Running 10.3.X OS X.

If I understand correctly, it is Panther 10.3.9. The MS OS is Windows XP Pro SP2. I have re-installed VPC 7.02 and created another instance of XP. The actual problem is the SQL service won't start. When I try and start it manually it starts then stops. The SQL install needs that service running in order to complete. I am also going to instal XP on iEmulator later today and see where that goes. Thanks for the interest in helping.

That would be your problem. You cannot run SQL server version 2000 or above on Windows XP. You get the error you are seeing even if it lets you get as far as installing it.

You would need Windows Server 2000 or 2003 to get it to run.

Um, I guess SQL Server 2005 Express is not affected? I was able to install & start the service on my PC running XP SP2

No, that is fine, you might even get away with a full SQL 2005 install, but none of the previous versions.

Dear gphillipk,

Hmmm...I was not able to start the service when I installed Express. During the install it tried to start the service and failed. When I manually tried to start it, it failed and then rolled back the install. Would you give me your steps on doing this and what versions you are running? Like VPC 7.02 and the Mac OS your are on, etc. Thanks.

hello everyone,

I'm a new user of Mac.. I already bought MacBook. I have to build an information system with PHP 5, with database ms sql server 2000 and web server IIS 6.0.

Sorry if i'm asking you all a silly question.is it possible for me to install all the stuff abobe on my Mac?

I'm looking forward for the information. Thank you very much.

Very unlikely, as far as I knw even if you use boot camp to install Windows it will only work with XP and to run SQL Server 2000 you need Windows Server 2000 or 2003. I think it is the same for IIS.

You might try using Apache for your web server and my SQL which both run under OSX.

hmm..but the company that will run this system just use IIS and ms sql server 2000..

tommo..do u mean that if i use boot camp..and run win xp..so i could install ms sql and IIS?

thank you very much

No, you certainly cannot install SQL 2000 on Windows XP, I'm not sure about IIS but I would think not either.

I am a little puzzled why given that the products used are SQL 2000 and IIS which are both server based applications and Mac laptop was purchased to run them on ?

Well..Actually I'm still a university student. So, currently I'm doing internship too make an information system. So, I just bought MacBook not in purpose to build that system.

Actually, I also have PC with Windows XP Pro. I have installed MS SQL Server 2000.

Back