MS Visual C++ project, what can open it?

Nosh

Registered
is it possible to open a Visual C++ project (structured in the same way it would appear in Visual C++ itself) in any program in OS X? Xcode has no problem opening .h, .c, or .cpp files, naturally, but has no idea what to do with the .sln file. Is there a secret way, or a special third party importer I can use? Or, can I get Codewarrior or others to do it? Thanks.

Nosh

I don't know of anything that can open a Visual C++ project. You'll need to recreate it in your IDE of choice (CW or XCode).

Wade

Well that's just no good at all. I'm rather the "newbie" when it comes to C++, and a certain developers SDK only comes as a Visual C++ project. All the code is there for altering, but I just don't know how to structure and build it in a different IDE.

Does he have a Linux version? If so, the Makefile and such would likely be convertible to OS X without too many changes.

Wade

If it only comes with a Visual C++ project file, chances are very very high that it makes use of Windows dependent APIs (i.e. MFC/ActiveX/Win32/etc). Even if you manage to convert the project file into an XCode compatible format, you'll still not be able to compile anything.

I took a brief look at it.

If you look at JKA_mp(SDK).sln, you'll see that it references all the .vcproj files. It's the master project file. The .vcproj files make up the individual modules. If you look in the .vcproj files, you'll see all the files that comprise the module.

By looking at these files, you can reconstruct the project in Xcode.

However, looking at the code, it's going to take a ton of work to port it. There's Windows-specific stuff all through it.

Wade

usually I take the source code, edit it to get rid of windows specific code and invoke the gcc compiler to compile the code. Then the fun part is figuring out the gcc compiler errors. I have only done that on console applications involving classes.

mkwan said:
usually I take the source code, edit it to get rid of windows specific code and invoke the gcc compiler to compile the code. Then the fun part is figuring out the gcc compiler errors. I have only done that on console applications involving classes.

Uhh... if the program is using the Win32 API or something that's heavily tied to windows(e.g. MFC, ActiveX, DirectX, etc), you might end up with an empty file ;)

Back