musings of a potential convert

malexgreen

Contributor and PB User
I've been looking at the difference computers offered by APPLE. Coming from the PC world, it's hard for me to know the relative performance of each of these computers, or their comparison to their PC counterparts.

I've looked at the benchmark data, and see that Macs outperform PC's that are roughly 2X the clock speed, if not more. But what I'm wondering is this:

Which Mac should I get for my purposes? My plan is to do pretty standard stuff, play 3D video games, surf the net, store photos, and even possibly create movies (in the future), write C/C++/Java programs, and do MS Office-type work, syncrhonize with my PocketPC, burn CD's (no need for DVD yet), play MP3's and play DVD's. I also want to choose between the ibook or powerbook, as I want a portable computer, not a desktop.

Which should I switch to?: Powerbook or ibook. If I switch to one or the other, what are the advantages disadvantages? HOw long before this notebook would become obsolete? In the PC world, your PC becomes obsolete in about 6 months. What about a Mac? Thanks for your help. :)

If you have the money, get a powerbook, if not the iBook is great, I own one . Now unlike pcs you will actually be able to sell your iBook in 3 or 4 years and still get plenty of cash for it. They do not become as quickly obsolete as pcs do. If you are a serious gamer I'd maybe hold onto your pc for any really hardcore gaming you have to do, but everything else is better and more efficiently done with a mac :) I'd get a powerbook and trust us, you won't be dissapointed.

I would probably get a powerbook because you want to play 3D games. I do everything else that you do, except play games, and I use an old clamshell iBook, which is sufficient.

That may answer one of your questions about how long your hardware will last: Both my Macs are from the previous style, and I have no yearning to upgrade them at all. When I went to OSX I pumped up the memory, but that is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new computer.

R.

Back