My iMac G5 won't boot up Mac OSX.

Callo

Registered
Hello!

I have a problem with my iMac G5 that I bought almost two years ago. It won't boot up Mac OSX. It started acting weird a couple of weeks ago when it wouldn't boot up when I turned it on until the second or third try. Yesterday, it wouldn't boot up and today I had the same bad luck. I don't think that it will boot up anymore unless I can fix the problem. I honestly have no idea of what the problem could be. I would guess that there is a problem with the hard-drive because, when it started acting weird, it made a very loud noise every now and then for several seconds. I don't know, maybe it was a fan that was spinning fast and making that noise. As you can see, I am clueless about this problem.

When I turn on my iMac, it starts as normal until a circulating figure appears to show that it's loading something and then a darker "curtain" falls on the screen and the "power" symbol appears and a black box with a message that says that I have to restart my computer by pussing the restart button or by holding the power button down for a few seconds. It doesn't get to the blue screen where it says that Mac OSX is booting up. I can load from a DVD. I tried to load from the installation disc that came with the computer by holding the "C" key on start up and It loads. I tried installing Mac OSX again by doing an "Archive and Install" installation and it installs it. The problem is that I have two discs and it only lets me install disc one and says it is finished and restarts the computer. When the computer is restarted by the installation, the "dark curtain" and message box telling me that I should restart it appear again.

Sorry if what I wrote didn't make too much sense. I am not in a hurry to get this fixed but I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you in advance for helping me.

Callo.

Callo, I suspect rather extensive directory damage on that HD,
which isn't as bad as physical damage. Get Disk Warrior 4 and
see if that'll fix the problem.

Back