My Internet Only "half Way" Works

jonfrankjr

Registered
After re-installing OSX, MY internet doesn't work properly.
Sherlock will will get stock quotes, look up stuff on ebay, dictionary, etc..
ITunes will play radio and go to the Music Store
It was working fine with OSX BEFORE the re-install...

But SAFARI and Internet Explorer do NOT work!
It's as if My internet went from being Interactive to just Viewable?
Should I try a clean install of OSX?
The Machine came with OS 9. Should I do a clean install of OS 9 first, THEN upgrade to OS X? I have the discs and there's nothing on the machine I can't live without.

PLEASE HELP!!

As i recall when you install OSX you have to answer some questions about your network. Possibly that got messed up. Those other applicatons can probably set themselves up - they have special ports to tunnel through, but Safari and IE need the normal Network set up by you during this step.

From apple.com/support
You can check the status of your network connections, such as Built-in Ethernet or AirPort, using Network preferences. The information, such as the IP address and whether the port is active and connected, may be useful if you are troubleshooting a connection problem.

The status indicators for each port are color-coded. Green means the port is active (turned on) and connected. Yellow means the port is active but not connected. Red means the port has not been configured.

1. Open System Preferences and click Network.
2. Make sure Network Status is selected in the Show pop-up menu.

You can select a port and click Configure to make changes to the port if necessary.

If you connect to the Internet or a network in several ways (using AirPort or Built-in Ethernet, for example), you can change the order of the network port configurations you computer tries when connecting to the Internet or a network. Drag a network port configuration, such as Ethernet, to the top of the list. When you try to connect, Mac OS X will try the port configuration at the top of the list.

Back