nat problem

kimis

Registered
Hi,

I have read the thread on an earlier question concerning port forwarding and nat problems posted by a mac newbie .(http://macosx.com/tech-support/azureus-port-forwarding/13263.html). I found myself in a similar situation after installing a wireless router, and I am also very new to this.

My internetconnection goes via the cable. I have a arris broadband modem that is connected to the cable (in the wall). When I installed my wireless router I followed the instructions, connected the line from the broadband modem to the belkin wireless (Belkin F5D7230-4) .and from the wireless to a older pc toshiba laptop. Via the airport connection on my macbookpro I can connect to my broadband. My internet works fine, the only thing, now I have a nat problem.

If I ty to change my dynamic ip adress on my mac, I loose the internetconnection. My Ipadress is 192.168.2.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 and router 192.168.2.1 using DHPC. I also have the mac adresses of both the cable and wireless.
I have tried using safari to get to my router, but this doesn't work.

Am I trying to forward the wrong thing? Any help?

Kim

Your on DCHP at the moment then? This worked fine for me.

Open azureus and check which ports you are using (its easier to have the two ports the same). Next connect to your router and port forward the port from azureus as UDP and TCP. Restart your router and you should be good to go.

Hi,

Thanks for the fast answer. It is good to know i dont need a static ip adress and all that. I have tried connecting to my router but it doesnt work. I read somewhere i had to open it through safari, tried that but no luck. How do I connect to my router, via system preference. I have no idea, sorry.

kim

You type its IP address into Safari's address bar. Most routers usually have the IP address 192.168.2.1 by default. Unless youve changed it, try this. Otherwise check your manual to see what the default IP address is.

hi,
i have a Belkin wireless router at my home too and, well, let's say their NAT never worked for me.. I could add the first one, fine, then the second one and it always gave me errors and deleting every setting...

anyway, about the static ip address, you may need it, cause when setting your NAT you have to give an IP address, and let's say your router's DHCP gives 192.168.2.2 to your macbookpro today, if you connect tommor it may give this address to your Toshiba (beurk). So it's better to set it up at the beginning. (and it works quite well with Belkin routers).

could you be more specific with your NAT error? is it for your Azereus connection?

" cause when setting your NAT you have to give an IP address, and let's say your router's DHCP gives 192.168.2.2 to your macbookpro today, if you connect tommor"

Not if you check the box so that it keeps that IP address for that computer and remembers.

never seen that option before, I always had this issue with my laptops at home, as soon as the lease time is finished it was giving away the addresses..

anyway, interesting to know that there is such an option on belkin routers, then it's seems like it's fine..

oh by the way, are you sure it's not the box to activate it for the address and deactivating?

Hi,
Yes, it is for azureus. I still cant connect to my router. Maybe I have to permit myself to do that first, on the pc laptop, never thought about that. I fear a long evening, changing configurations in windows, trying not to lose my connection. Anyway ta.
saw a thread as well on this forum: going to azureus, preferences, plugins,UPnP, check enable UPnP and Release mappings on closedown, then NAT-PMP Enable. But you have to enable that in the airport configuration base station, which I cant. I tried this via airport setup assistant, changing settinges, but i cant.
Kim.

hi,
firstly, we should solve the connection to the router, on your Windows can you connect to it? if not, is it xp home or pro? try to open your network page and enable UPnP display, this should allow you to see the belkin router on your network page in Windows, double click on it to access to it.

can you see it?

Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I finally fixed it. I logged into my windows, like you said and changed the settings so my mac is autherised to connect to the router. I've chosen a good port and I am manually forwarding the port. This is because my internetprovider doesnt support static ip adresses and things went haywire when i tried. Since I only have two computers connected, all I have to do is look in airport to see what adress my mac is given and if needed change the port forwarding in the router. I have found out that most of the time it is the same. I also disabled the routers firewall, but still no luck. Then I realised that in sharing I disabled mac's firewall for Azureus, but I was still using the old port, so when I changed that I got green smileys. So although I have to manually check my IP adress everytime I want to use azureus, considering I did'nt have to have a static IP adress, that is realy not a great effort to make.

Thanks for all the help.

Hopefully this will be usefull for another newby having the same problems.

Kim.

hi,

just one thing you may have misunderstood: the static ip address is given by the router to your computers in your local network.

Even if your provider doesn't give you a static address, it wont really change anything, since what you need here is a static address for your port forwarding so that you wont have to look at your ip address every time.

to give you an example:

public address give from your provider to your router: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (we don't really care about it)
local ip address given from your router to your computers: 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.3 (those are the fixed adress we need)

this can be done in two ways:
1. set your router to give a specified IP address to a specified MAC address (check your ethernet or airport MAC address and give it a static IP address)
2. set your computer into manual IP address in your network preferences (if you use different locations, create a new one and enter the IP address, subnet mask (255.255.255.0 generally) and your router address as well as your DNS)

this should avoid you having to check your IP address everytime you connect.

cheers

Hi,

Ok, I think my router has done that for my, but I am not certain, it seems to give 192.168.2.2 to my mac. How can I assign a static ip to my mac adress on my belkin. I have tried, but I couldnt find what settings to change on my router. I dont want to mess around on my networksettings because, without exeption every single time I lost the wireless connection and had to start all over again. For the time being I am fine, still nothing but green smileys.

ta,

Kim

i'm not used to belkin routers, so all i can do, is help you to get a static address from you mac:

open system preferences --> Network --> doubleclick on the device you're using (airport or ethernet) and you should have the TCP/IP tab.

you also should be on DHCP right now change to "Using DHCP with manual address" and just type in your IP address 192.168.2.2 will be fine.

this way you'll just ask the router for a specifid IP address without changing any other network configuration, so it should be fine!

cheers

Back