Need help configuring Outlook Express

billyboy

Registered
This is a repeat of a question I typed a few minutes ago. When I clicked "3 day response" at the end everything went away with no confirmation that my question had actually been accepted. Please ignore this repeat if the first one really got through.

I installed Outlook Express 5.0 for the Mac in my Mac Mini over a year ago when I found that I couldn't access my Compuserve Classic POP email from the OSX Mail program. With OE, (running under OS9) I can successfully read mail from the Compuserve account, but have never been able to send mail via it.

Compuserve tech support have been of essentially no help. The configuration data they supply me with simply does not work. Microsoft says that they no longer support OE for the Mac and sent me to an automated Mac support number at 1-877-865-6813. Repeated calls there have brought no response.

One of the several questionable entries required for configuration of the "sending mail" portion of OE accounts has to do with the proper port assignment. I have been told that my broadband ISP provider, AT&T for some reason blocks the normal POP mail sending port 25 and that I should use port 587 instead. That I have been doing and in fact it does work for mail messages sent from my Panasonic network cameras to my dot mac mail address. But for OE, attempts to send to Compuserve or to my dot mac account just trigger a long wait with the "sending messages" wheel spinning. Eventually everything times out and an error message appears: "Mail could not be sent to Compuserve POP mail. A connection failue hasoccurred. Error -23016"

Does all this ring any bells? I've tried many combinations with the other options in the "advanced" section of the OE configuration for sending mail with no success either to Compuserve or to MacMail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....billyboy

Back