Need help on monitor/system selection

evildan

Super Moderator
Okay,

Got a job the other day freelancing. I have a $11,000 budget, but I'm going to have to use some of that money for other expenses.

I'm interested in spending around $5,500 on a system. S&H will be nogotiated down to free.

So I'm currently looking at the "fastest" G4 with the following specs:

$2,999.00
Dual 1-GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
& 2MB L3 cache/processor
512MB SDRAM memory
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
56K internal modem

Which cuts $3,000 from my budget leaving me with 2,500 for a monitor.

I was looking at Apple's Cinema 22"flat panel display to fill the budget. (It retails for $2,500).

My question : is it worth it? I mean I could go cheap on the monitor (for example buy a Sony 21" Flat Panel for $500) then buy the "Ultimate" Apple system with the following specs:

$4,099.00
Dual 1-GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
& 2MB L3 cache/processor
1.5GB SDRAM memory
2x80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4 Titanium
56K internal modem

with this system I come in under budget, ($4,500) with enough money left over to buy an iPod and possibly a cheap scanner.

My philosopy has always been the monitor is one of the more important parts of the computer, but I wanted to get your thoughts on this one.

Has anyone purchased the Apple Cinema Display? Can anyone offer any pros/cons to buying it?

I have until the end of the week, then I have to submit my order. Since I just found out about this, I'm a bit excited to submit my specs for ordering.

I can't really respond to the value of the Apple Cinema Display. It is impressive to see, as is the new 23" display. I don't know how well it works for color reproduction in prepress applications.

What I would suggest is from the Apple Store BTO

$2,999.00
Dual 1-GHz PowerPC G4
256K L2 cache
& 2MB L3 cache/processor
512MB SDRAM memory
80GB Ultra ATA drive
SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX
56K internal modem

Replace the GeForce4 MX with the Titanium (+$250)
Buy RAM and a 2nd IDE Hard drive elsewhere (much less expensive)

I hope this is of some help.

Two 17" Apple Studio Displays costs about 1/2 the purchase price of a single Cinema display and offers more pixels. I would do that instead. Or else get three 17" Studio Displays and another video card, to make for a complete panaromic display experience.

Back