Need help ripping a DVD

Stresspuppy

Registered
I have a DVD with some content on it (not a commercial movie) that I need to get on my Mac so I can do some editing. I have tried a bunch of stuff but everything seems to degrade the quality.

I have tried Handbrake converting to MP4 at an average bitrate of 1024 using Xvid, as well as 2048 using FFmpeg with and without the deinterlacing option selected.

To test this, I rip the DVD 3 times (only 30 min of content), using the previously mentioned 3 settings. I then used iDVD to burn all three to a DVD, selecting "Best Quality". When watching them, the quality isn't as nice and it actually seems a little choppy.

What is the best way to do this without losing quality?

I will be editing in Final Cut Express HD on an iMac 24", 2 gig memory, 500 gig internal drive and 250 gig external drive (where all my video goes).

Any and all help is much appreciated as I have spent a couple of days trying to do this and feel I am getting no where.

I ended up getting DVDxDV. Rips a DVD to DV format file. That worked great. But I will try MPEG Streamclip just to see.

Back