Need to create OS 9.2.2 iso for use on OSX...

Steve Kimpton

Registered
Can anybody advise how best to create an OS 9.2.2 iso under OSX?

What I need to do is to create an OS 9.2.2 Restore CD/DVD, so that I can clean-install Tiger and then restore OS 9.2.2 again.

My Mac is a G4 MDD 1Ghz (single-processor) FW800 - lots of memory and disk space.

Steve

Since your computer cannot boot MacOS 9, all you need is a complete copy of your MacOS System Folder and Applications (Mac OS 9) folder. All you really need is a .dmg disk image. You use Disk Utilities to create it a writable .dmg file. The Mac equivalent to .iso is the CD/DVD master, .cdr, image file. Disk Utilities also makes .cdr files.

However, there is absolutely no benefit to a disk image file for what you want to do. You are just adding steps and wasting time. You still have to make a copy on the network or removable media. All you really need is a blank CD-R/RW or DVD-R. Copy your two root-level MacOS 9 folders to it. Do your business with your hard drive. Then drag the MacOS 9 folders back in place, and you're done. If your MacOS 9 folders have grown too large, make a .zip archive of them. Save the .zip file to the optical disk.

..well I finally managed to source a copy of OS Classic for my G4 MDD FW800 1ghz PowerMac. I found an identical Mac, and copied the Classic System Folder to a CD. Then I copied the CD folder to my Mac - hay presto! ...it was as simple as that!!

Back