Need to network G4 w/ 8600 -- PLEASE HELP!

Her

Registered
I'm having all kinds of grief trying to figure out how to network my new G4 PowerBook with my (very) old Powermac 8600. The 8600 has a 10Base-T ethernet port and, the PowerBook has a 10/100/1000Base-T port. What is the difference between the two? Do I need a network adaptor for the 8600, or can I make a direct connection—in which case, how? I'm desperate for any help or advice.

TIA

The two network connectors are identical. I think your new powerbook autoswitches (including polarity) and therefore any network cable will do. I would then go to the TCP/IP panel in OS 9 and set an IP number of 192.168.1.1 and then go to Appletalk panel and turn on appletalk on the ethernet connection. On the new powerbook, go to Network Prefs, name a new location for built-in ethernet, Configure: Manually, give it IP address 192.168.1.2 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (this might be automatically filled in on both computers?), go to appletalk tab and enable it. Apply now if that button is available.
Turn on file sharing on the 8600. On the powerbook, go to the Go menu - Connect to Server. You should now see the 8600. highlight it and connect.
Come back if there are problems.

You can made a direct connection, but you'll need an ethernet crossover cable, not standard cat 5e.

You can buy a crossover cable at any local computer store/Best Buy type.

Back