Netboot home folder permissions problem, booting to empty home folder

dvsjr

Registered
Hi all,

While working on a 10.6.4 server, a tech person using server admin utility accidentally propagated the "admin" user and "admin" group down through the home folders share. All the home folders for his students are now set with the wrong user/group (admin). After explaining to him how to change the user and group in server admin and propagate the correct permissions, we tested it. The restored user was able to log into their account but their files are not viewable on the netbooted mac. The desktop and documents folder etc appear empty. They are, however, still visible in the home folder. The permissions when checked in server admin are correct, they show they have the student as owner, and the proper group. Is there something I can suggest to check? A cache perhaps or some trick on the client side? We can and will try restoring from a good backup. I would just like to know what the fix would be for this scenario if anyone has insight.

thanks!

I would just like to know what the fix would be for this scenario if anyone has insight.

If I understand your problem correctly and if you are using Open Directory, restoring from a WGM user export is probably the quickest fix.

- Forest Mars

Back