Network Authentication/Login

Hunt

Registered
Hi,

I have two MacOS X 10.2 computers that are networked together. I use one computer and my father uses the other, meaning that our user accounts, home directories, etc. are stored on our own computers. Is there any way to make MacOS X 10.2 (standard version, not server, we don't own server) reccognise the other computer on the network and display the other user in its login window, so that we can login on either computer without creating a new account on each (it would be nice to have the same preferences)?

I tried to do this on my own but had no luck (I found something os osxhints.com about using openldap to share your netinfo db) but I didn't work
:confused: . I'm not that great with UNIX, although I do know how to use the terminal and a few UNIX apps.

I don't mind how complicated this is but if someone can help, could you please give a nice easy to follow guide. For example, the article on osxhints.com just said "install OpenLDAP and export your netinfo db and ldif"!!! I don't know how to export your netinfo db as ldif and I tried to install openldap and compile it but i't didn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Adam

Back