Network settings w/o admin login

jforzano

Registered
Can someone tell me if its possible to change your network prefs (i.e. TCP connection setting) WITHOUT needing the admin login?

Here's the scenario: We have several users who are considered techs/power users who have various admin logins to some Titanium laptops. The actual laptop users have strictly a user-level account. When these users (they are reporters) go out into the field, they need the ability to switch their connection settings between manual tcp/ip, dhcp, and dial up PPPoE, depending on the site they are reporting from. Our policy is that users do not get admin-type accounts and that's where my problem lies.

I've asked several people who know OSX better than I do if they had an answer and they all said they didn't know a way around this.

I'm hoping that someone can give me a nudge in the right direction. Failing a solution, they want to leave the reporters laptops running OS9.22 (and as far as I see that would be a crime!)

If anyone can spare any insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Set up the various settings they need as different locations in the Network pane. They can switch locations without needing an admin password. I just tried it and it works fine.

Back