network setup

colomber

Registered
My new (Intel) Imac is my first mac. All went well, installed XP via BootCamp. All components, including Airport, work on both OS.

Yesterday I got my broadband (that's 128kbp- ;) - Incredible India) which is only a network cable that plugs directly into the LAN. Since the guy who set it up didn't know OS X (and neither do I!!) we booted into Windows and set the connection like this:

network.jpg

and all worked instantly. I then booted OS X and I do NOT get it to work there. Far from blaming the sleek OS but could someone please point me in the right direction.

They are fixed addresses.

You can re-enter them in OSX. Go to System Preferences/Network

In the built-in ethernet, go to TCP/IP, choose "Manually" or using "DHCP with manual address" from the drop down "Configure IPv4" menu.

It's worth trying the default "using DHCP" first, as that is the norm in most places. Only use the manual way if you have to.

Check the PPPoE page. there should be NO TICK in the box that says "Connect using PPPoE"

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried that. The problem, it seems, is the "Default Gateway". In OSX there is "Router". Tried to set the value there (via the IV6 button) but it doesn't let me input the full stops of the gateway IP number.

I think you should ignore the IPv6 settings, and put the 'default gateway' (192.168.1.254) setting into 'Router' in OS X. That should work.

Good luck

Andy

Got it. Neither "DHCP" NOR "DHCP manually" but simply "manually" lets me set up the Gateway/Router.

Thanks for the prompt and encouraging help, everyone. And before anybody asks:
I love this machine, my best PC ever and it comes with an alternative OS (X). If you got the time...

The thing that really bugs me:
Why has Apple not realised the schlepp-around potential of the 17"er Imac? You make ipods, don't you? And they are for the road.

The little Imac weighs in at 7 kg, just under the limit for hand luggage on most airlines and it complies to their size regulations as well.

It needs a handle, a clip-on plate/cover to protect the screen (IN WHITE WITH A GLOWING APPLE LOGO :rolleyes: ) and a REMOVABLE stand.

BTW, I have taken it on flights, with cardboard taped around it and a tennis sock pulled over the stand, now is this cool? Come on guys!

It needs a handle, a clip-on plate/cover to protect the screen (IN WHITE WITH A GLOWING APPLE LOGO :rolleyes: )

BTW, I have taken it on flights, with cardboard taped around it and a tennis sock pulled over the stand, now is this cool? Come on guys!

They already did. It's called the MacBook Pro, and costs £1100 more. You do get a keyboard, trackpad and battery system for the extra money, so that's OK!

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

andyhargreaves,
we are talking a different target here.
For me it's not ok. Spending on computer hardware makes me cringe. Bought mine in Malaysia for 624 GBP (inc. keyboard, mouse and looks). Leaves 1100GBP for the battery. As I said, different target.

PS: I'm getting miles off-topic here. Going to open a new topic.

Back