Networking a Windows VAIO to a Mac G4 through network card

melakev

Registered
I had this config working before... have a 3-year-old Vaio with a network adapter card and dongle to Ethernet connection. It was working great logging into my home office network and router. I could see the entire VAIO drive through Mac's GO>Connect to Server port. Trading files was a piece of cake through the network.

Then... I misplaced my dongle cord. The adapter card was dead in the water.

Bought a new card with a port on board. Installed the hardware and driver. VAIO says the device is working... but I can't get onto the network. Tried from the VAIO to get Internet access. No go.

Tried to open the VAIO drive from Connect to Server on the Mac. Nyet.

What's up? Anybody know? Do I need to reset something on the Windows machine? I HATE WINDOWS!! "Plug & Pray!"

Can anybody help?

Not sure this will help but,
try uninstalling the drivers/software for the old adaptor.
Windows gets confused easily, especially when you install drivers for 2 of the same type of thing. :p :D

On the pc .. remove the network adapter drivers and reboot. If you are running xp it will see the adapter as new hardware and reinstall the drivers for you. Under older OSs you will need to go in and add new hardware. I have always had better luck using the drivers included with windoze, keeping the driver disk in reserve.
After the driver is installed etc. go to network places and select network connections. Make sure the adapter is enabled and that it shows that a cable is attached.

More info on the pc's OS would help. 3yrs old ME or XP?
How are you connecting the two computers? switch, hub, direct(xover cable needed)

On a side note are your drives or folders still shared? Do you have windows file sharing and internet sharing on in the Mac? I know when I hit a glitch I turn stuff on and off I inadvertently make the problem worse sometimes!!

Back