Networking an iMac with a PC

vogel

Registered
Alright... I've got a 17" iMac with an ethernet DSL modem and I want to network it with a PC and share the internet connection. What's the best way to do this? Are there issues with PC's and 802.11g/Airport extreme?

If your ethernet modem has more than one RJ45 socket, just plug both Mac and PC into it.
I have a wireless DSL Modem and have 4 Macs and one PC all using Airport/802.11 and shareing the internet connection. I just set them all to connect via DCHP, and thats it......Done

then you need a router or a switch... i would recommend a router, because then you get added security and configuration. you could get a 802.11g wirerelss router, and then either the mac or the pc would be able to use 802.11g or ethernet to connect.

I would recommend a firewall. Unless you are a wizz at configuring access lists, get a firewall, which will NAT all private addresses to one public address. This way you kill two birds with one stone ... give PC and Mac access to the Internet, and protect yourself.

I bought this LinkSys Etherfast cable/DSL router for a mere $58. It has a built-in firewall that is configurable (via a web page) with port filtering, IP forwarding, virus scanning (!!) and a whole host of other firewally things I didn't understand coz I hadn't completely read the manual.
But it is VERY easy plug-n-play in the true Mac (not Windows) sense of the phrase. i.e no drivers to install. Plug it in, turn it on. Plug in your mac, send your browser to 192.168.1.1 and tell it either to use the fixed IP you have been given or to get an address dynamically. Press [APPLY] and that is it. Done. Dem little lights be flicken & blinken showing conectivity and activity.

It has a 4 port hub & it also has a configurable DHCP server to provide IPs for the machines hanging off it. There are two up link ports so you can either connect to another LAN hub (as mine was, so you have a mini LAN of your own) or straight to your LAN router, in your case the dsl modem. There are also 4 ports to connect 4 MACS!!! :p, or if you really must, limit yourself to 3 Macs and one Windoze PeeCee... :rolleyes:

And to really make you smile, Linksys give a $20 rebate too! :D

Cliken dis linken to see da routen

Back