Networking Mac and PC

blue gekko

I *heart* Mac
Hey guys, I'm new to this website and couldn't find a search tab. Anyway, my question is, is there a way to network Macs with PCs?? Please explain in layman's terms as I am not too familiar with computer language.

All help appreciated

Well, assuming you have os x 10.4 or 10.3, it's easy. Go into your system preferences panel, click on the "sharing" button, then select and enable windows sharing.

I've found that getting my Mac to talk to my PC is easier than getting other PCs to talk to it when I put them on my network. Windows is a bit annoying that way.

Thanks for replying guys, this is the first time I've ever joined a forum and written anything so I'm really learning what the protocols are and how to write more clearly!

Just a thought guys, is there much setting up on the pc side? I've only ever used Macs!

What I realise now is that I really should get the details of the pc I'm going to connect so all you generous people can give me more meaningful instruction. I will post at a later time to get that info. I will give you details of my Mac as well, in fact I will put the Mac details down in my signature (that's my son telling me what to do there!).

Thanks for bearing with me, will write again soon.

I didn't have to set anything up on the PC-side to get it working. What has been suggested for setup on the Mac-side should be all that you need. I remember, when I first got it all working, thinking how easy it was, and how the Mac seemed to make it easy by doing all the work for me. It seems like Apple has built the ability to work with Windows PCs into Mac OS X in order to make the transition from PC to Mac easier for the user. I think Apple also knows that this is still a Windows world and they understand that they have to work with the market leader.

oh sure my new ibook is brill! click a box! geez!:)
but I can't figure out what to do in gibberishwindowsspeak on my pc. I have a partitioned hardrive running windows 98 and windows xp (sans service pack 2!). I would love to be able to somehow control and swap files with my new laptop. Is it possible in xp without the service pack, or do I have to try to figure that out too.(won't install)
I can't figure it out. when I finally did get help from the windows help site,(for xp of course) it instructed me to open my security centre, which I don't even have in xp, probably because of my service pack issue... you see my windows hell. I am just walking away from a trail of half working programs etc.:eek:

Or better yet. is it possible in good ol' 98?

please...I can barely speak computer!!!

also, is it possible to control the speakers or even a music program like itunes on my pc remotely from my laptop? (ibook g4)

ordering the mac for dummies book from the library. It might shut me up. The missing manual seems to be more for mac users.

Morning:

As I mentioned in a post in another thread, I believe you have to run the Windows Networking Wizard. I now have a PC in front of me. A VirtualPC running Windows XP, that is. So I'll look for the wizard.

Aha! It's called the New Connection Wizard.

1. Click on Start menu.
2. Click Control Panels.
3. Click Network Connections.
4. Look at the bottom of that window. There's a button that says "New Connection Wizard." Double-click it.

Now, I don't know your exact setup. Are you getting Internet access from your phone line (dial-up) or from a broadband source (cable modem, DSL, satellite)?

5. Oops. I guess that if you select "Set up a home or small-office network." the New Connection wizard will transfer you to the Network Setup Wizard.

Ok. Follow the directions in the Network Setup Wizard. If you get stuck, let us know. You can also send me a Private Message if you don't get a reply.
To do that you need to go to "User CP" near the top of this or any page on MacOSX.com. Then look at the links on the left side. Find the one that lets you send a private message. My username is dktrickey

Doug

The issue with not loading SP2 is stating that you do not have a Valid (registered) copy of windows XP installed. Make sure if it is legal to register it. If it is reinstalled (reimaged) you just need to regitser over the phone the will give you a key that will work.

morning said:
oh sure my new ibook is brill! click a box! geez!:)
but I can't figure out what to do in gibberishwindowsspeak on my pc. I have a partitioned hardrive running windows 98 and windows xp (sans service pack 2!). I would love to be able to somehow control and swap files with my new laptop. Is it possible in xp without the service pack, or do I have to try to figure that out too.(won't install)
I can't figure it out. when I finally did get help from the windows help site,(for xp of course) it instructed me to open my security centre, which I don't even have in xp, probably because of my service pack issue... you see my windows hell. I am just walking away from a trail of half working programs etc.:eek:

Or better yet. is it possible in good ol' 98?

please...I can barely speak computer!!!

also, is it possible to control the speakers or even a music program like itunes on my pc remotely from my laptop? (ibook g4)

Morning

In Windows XP go to your start menu. As long as you're not in Classic Menu, you should see a My Network Places Icon. If you don't, I think you can go to either My Computer or Control Panels and get to My Network Places from there.

Once you've gotten into My Network Places, you should see an option on the left side bar menu called "Add a Network Place" something to that effect. Once there you will be asked to either Browse or put in the IP address yourself.

You can find your Mac's IP address by going to your System Preferences, Network, Select Airport, and Configure. You'll reach another menu and from there select the TCP/IP tab. Your IP address is in there.

If you browse, it may take a bit before the PC will see your Mac, however if it doesn't then plugging in your IP address will not work either. Here is where you need to make sure the Windows Sharing option is turned on on the Mac.

Your Windows machine will have the same sort of requirements. Whatever directory or folder you want to be able to see, Mac to Windows, you must share that folder. To share a folder, right-click it then select an option called "file sharing" I think.

From here on, to see your Windows machine from your Mac, just hit the Finder Icon on your Dock. On the top left, select the Network Icon and wait a few seconds, you may get a few folders or your PC may show up right there. Most Windows Machines will default in the Workgroup folder so your PC will most likely be in there.

To see your Mac from your Windows machine, simply go to My Computer. If you have succeeded in creating the Network Place on your PC, then your Mac will show up on your My Computer window.

Hopefully, I've been pretty clear. I don't have a Windows machine at home of me so I'm going on memory from my work. We have Macs and Windows machines. Hope this helps.

Jon

OK - so if it is all so easy - why can't I get my Canon iP4200, connected to the Mac G4 to work from the PC which is on the network. Everything worked pretty easily but I cannot get the PC to see the printer - and vice versa - printer hooked to the PC then the Mac can't see it.

Mac's are like women - ornery!

Ian Goddard

Ian, welcome to MacOSX.com.

Have you turned on Printer Sharing in the Sharing pane of the System Preferences? It should be as easy as that.

Let us know how it goes.

Doug

The MAC web site has great movies in Mac 101 to show you step by step how to network with Windows XP or with other MACS. It is pretty easy once you see the video.

Good Luck

Back