Networking Win98 + Nic to OS X with Airport

markpatterson

Registered
Hi, I have joined the Mac world by getting an iBook. I got an airport for the convenience. But I would like to get my old beige box running win 98 on the network to share files between the 2 machines, and to serve as a printer server. I'm not abandoning the old beige box. I'm a Delphi programmer. But I connected a cat-5 cable from the Win 98 machine to the airport LAN slot, and nothing happened. In fact since I put the network card in it the modem has become invisible.

Can anyone help? The knowledge base doesn't seem to address my situation.

Regards,

Mark Patterson

your hardware is misconfigured. Your modem should still show up in your system configuration. Perhaps you need to take a look at the drivers, and IRQ settings of both the nic card and the modem. Dollars to doughnuts, one is stepping on the other. On a side note... I don't have an airport basestation, so someone correct me if I am wrong. You might need a crossover cable to hook directly from your pc into the airport basestation...otherwise, get an ethernet hub/switch.

Make sure that your pc tcp/ip network is configured to use DCHP. Look under the system in control panel to see if you have an irq conflict between your modem and the network card. Once reboot the pc, run a dos box and run ipconfig program. You should get something like 10.x.x.x ip address for the pc. If you have problem, post some more details here so other users can help.

You won't need a cross-over cat5 cable because the Apple base station (newer Apple laptop or desktop as well) LAN port automatically handle this. I had a win 98 box and get it to connect to the airport base station was easy.

Back