New Fonts?

Simply copy the font file to ~/Library/Fonts, where '~' is your home directory. Windows TrueType fonts (with the .ttf extension) will work.

Logicman,
Depending of how many typefaces you are putting onto your system, you may want to look into a font managing software, with about 100-150 and up, I would recommend suitcase 10.2 it is what I am using right now and I am currently sitting at around 2500 faces not including OpenType and System fonts.
To add to Kenny's reply, the "~/library/fonts" will only add the fonts to your login, but if you have multiple users or want a system wide font installation, you can use the "library/fonts" located on you boot drive. Any fonts in there will load with any ser that boots up from thet drive.

<<<<DO NOT TOUCH THE "SYSTEM/LIBRARY/FONTS"!!!!!!!!>>>>

Originally posted by potter__
<<<<DO NOT TOUCH THE "SYSTEM/LIBRARY/FONTS"!!!!!!!!>>>>

Some of the /System/Library/Fonts are totally useless when you aren't used to chat in Japanese or read the Al-Jazeera news.

I am still looking for a list of those fonts, in such a way I can make my /System/Library/Fonts lighter.

I have done this which might be a good thing for you to try Toast. Next time you install or if you choose to re-install you operating system, click customize and go through the list of extra things in which to install. There you will find your japanese fonts. unclick those and it will not install them. As for a list, this is what is in mine and I don't have them installed:

Apple LiGothic Medium.dfont
AppleGothic.dfont
AquaKanaBold.otf
AquaKanaRegular.otf
Courier.dfont
Geneva.dfont
Hei.dfont
Helvetica.dfont
Keyboard.dfont
LastResort.dfont
LucidaGrande.dfont
Monaco.dfont