New OS X Feature...what do you think?

magnolia1240

Registered
I would like to see Mac OS X include some type of "tabbed desktops", similar to the Tabbed Browser feature on many Internet Browsers. For example...

I would like to open iCal, Address Book and Mail on Desktop1, leave all the files and windows open and then be able to switch to Desktop2, where I have Final Cut Pro running, editing footage. And then be able to switch to Desktop3 where I have Word and Safari running so I can research and re-write scenes as I edit.

That way in the middle of re-writing, I could switch to Desktop1 when the producer calls to schedule a meeting and never have to keep lots of Apps open at the same time, or keep opening and closing them.

Having the Dock as the throughline, with icons to switch between Desktops, would streamline and integrate the Desktops together, as well as offer easy access to each Desktop.

I don't know the technicalities of it, but maybe have the "active" Desktop control the vast majority of the RAM, leaving just enough RAM for the "passive" Desktops to keep their Apps open, but in something of a "sleep" mode.

magnolia1240

you have kind of a tabed desktop... these are the buttons in you finder windows.

That actualy would be an excelent, simplistic method of incorporating multiple desktops into the OS X interface. I do like the idea. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that this is a high priority for apple.

Back