New OS X specific theme for Mozilla! Nice! As Good As Omniweb!

übermac®™

You are a litle girlyman
Since 10.2 came out and now Mozilla (the web browser) is actually much faster than IE 5.2 and Omniweb, many users are still turned off by its "windoze" like appearance. I myself do not like its default theme appearance either. However, since its appearance is based mostly on CSS, a good fellow has created an OS X specific theme that makes it just as good looking as Omniweb. So now you can have the nice interface of OW, and the tons of customizable features and blazing fast speed of Mozilla. It is now my default browser, with no popups and blazing speed, as well as a killer password manager and amazing font control.

Here is the link to the theme install page... (click on the link in the center of the page to install it, after browsing to the page inside Mozilla 1.1)

BTW, there is a bug that forces Mozilla 1.1 (and older versions) to crash in 10.2 while executing Java applets (This is Apple's fault, not Mozilla's) BUT YOU CAN FIX THIS! To fix this you just delete one plugin (by deleting this plugin, you are getting rid of Mozilla's Java plugin and using Apple's Java plugin by default). Mozilla will automatically use Apple's Java plugin without you having to do anything, so just delete this one file and that's it. Control click on the mozilla application icon in the Mozilla folder, then select Show Package Contents. Then browse to Contents -> MacOS -> Plug-ins and delete the file MRJPluginCarbon.plugin and empty your Trash. Restart Mozilla.

After this is done, Mozilla will not crash executing Java applets and everything, including Java, will work fine.

Have fun with the new OS X Mozilla! Just thought I'd share some knowledge I have gained about a very fast, full featured, customizable browser that is light years ahead of IE 5.2. (It can even block web page banners!) ;)

Can you believe what I am about to say about our good friend Microsoft?

Can you believe that they have already put code onto your Apple computer that specifically hijacks your system properties and keeps IE 5.2 as the default browser on your Non-MS OS? Well believe it.

After installing Mozilla 1.1 and setting the System Properties -> Internet -> Web dialog to "Mozilla" and then shutting it down thinking my choice for a browser was respected, guess what?

IE 5.2 CHANGED MY SYSTEM PROPERTIES BACK SO THAT MY DEFAULT BROWSER IS MS, REPEATEDLY. MS totally disrespected my choice for a browser. It seems that they have put code into their IE 5.2 browser that automatically changes your settings. How do you fix this?

" > Right-click/Control-Click the Internet Explorer application and > choose Show Package Contents. Open Contents and then open Info- > macos.plist in your editor of choice.
>
> near the bottom you'll see this key.
> <key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
> In that key is an array of values in the following form >
> <key>CFBundleURLName</key>
> <string>http URL</string>
> <key>CFBundleURLSchemes</key>
> <array>
> <string>http</string>
> </array>
> <key>LSIsAppleDefaultForScheme</key>
> <true/>
>
> The final association is what we are worried about, LS is OS X's > Launch Services which handles all the file typing and associations > for the OS. Deleting these lines should prevent IE from hijacking > your browser setting. "

Well, its kinda easy if you know how to use TextEdit.

MS are truly evil bastards, and this cements it for me. :mad:

Cool it works with Netscape 7 on 10.2 I just have to figure how to get rid of the Mozilla icon and put back the Netscape one.

Netscape 7 PR1 kept crashing with 10.2 as does Opera so that's deleted off my system.

Chimera 0.4 is great too. Only crashed once so far when playing with the bookmarks but I like the tabbed window control in Netscape better.

That means Explorer goes down from first to third now.

It installs here
/Users/<user>/Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/hawaw6uv.slt/chrome/pinstripe.jar

I unstuffed the .jar and the throbbers are here
pinstripe.jar Folder/communicator/brand

Then there are some other Mozilla icons here
pinstripe.jar Folder/communicator/taskbar/navigator-act.gif

pinstripe.jar Folder/communicator/taskbar/navigator.gif

pinstripe.jar Folder/communicator/global/icons/alert-exclam.png

crap how do you jar a file??

ubermac thanks for those java and awesome theme tips:)
I actually find mozilla very slow and tedious when scrolling up and and down pages compared to IE 5.2, it's even worse in netscape 7, specially when using the up/down keys on the keyboards.
The only only reason i'm using mozilla is because IE 5.2.1 on my fresh install of 10.2 on a G4 450 is having window resizing problems, it's really got me all worked up
:(
I've trashed the prefs and done a new install of IE yet the problem persists, yet others i've spoken to with a similar machine have not had this problem.

I'm sorry to hear that Mozilla is not as fast as you'd like it to be.

I don't know if you have Quartz Extreme enabled, but on my machine (G4 Quicksilver 733, 1GB SDRAM), Mozilla is just as fast as can be, including scrolling. The window resizing is not as good as IE or Chimera, but then again I don't resize my window very often.

On the other hand, Netscape 7 will not even install of my copy of 10.2. It just idles and does not open any windows. However, I did install NS 7 in classic, and it runs pretty good, and I like the new NS animation. Reminds me of 1995.

Another good tip when running Mozilla is to enable pipelining in Preferences/Advanced/HTTP Netwroking. Check both pipelinling boxes. It make Mozilla about 20% faster on my machine.

I don't have any problems with window resizing, fits perfectly to what I set it to, it's only in IE I have that problem, overall though I would love to see mozilla mature to be the best browser around, only gripe is the page scrolling speed for now.

Back