New QuickTime won't work!!!

jove

Any and all movies, on open, make the QT player unexpectedly quit.

Anybody else with this problem?

worked great for me. in fact i spent about a half hour just watching movie trailers at apple after i installed it. did you do the restart as required or did you cheat and force quit the installer?

I reran the installer from Apple's website, restarted, and same problem. The player quits on a no-movie open as well.

Yea, mine is fine too. I went through all my own video clips to see the differences.

And you conclusions are ?

I'm only worried by speed, in fact. I often watch movies with a bunch of FTP programs running, and I sometimes have to close a couple of them to watch a clean movie that does not choke.

Wow ! 19.4Mo - this update OUGHT to make Quicktime faster... Updates are slowly eating my disk !

Rerunning the installer doesn't do anything. It doesn't replace files that are already there. I can't figure out how to uninstall QuickTime. I tried to delete a bunch of QuickTime files as root and then reinstall, but it still crashes every time. The QuickTime updater in the System Preferences also crashes every time. Apple's site says you can't uninstall part of the OS and suggests erasing the disk. I'm not going through a whole OS install!! Now what do I do??

Works perfectly for me. I viewed the KeyNote last night at full screen with no jerkeyness. It was great.

OK I don't want to insult anyone or anything like that, but replies like "it works for me" aren't helpful!

I'm subscribed to this post and when I get an email saying there was a reply I think, hey maybe someone knows what to do. Or at least, maybe someone has the same problem.

If it works for you, be glad and move on. Or start your own thread to say how great it is.

I'm looking at needing a clean OS install because of QT update and I'm not happy about it.

jove, when is the last time you ran a real repair utility like diskwarrior, drive 10 or techtooll pro? the point in telling you that ours are working is so that you might start looking beyond qucktime for the solution to your problem. chances are something bigger is wrong with your system/directories/etc. than just a bad QT install. ruling out is one of the first things to do in troubleshooting. so if a bunch of people are telling you that QT works fine and no one is saying they have the same problem, then you can pretty much rule out a QT bug. if it were me, i would want to hera that it works from several other people before ruling out.
i suggest you run a real disk repair utility but you should at least start by running the built in one.

also you might want to think about defragmenting after repairing. if an ap gets too fragmented it can make it difficult to access.

Like I said, I didn't want to upset anyone. There are some people on Apple's QT discussion board who have the same problem. My computer is a PowerBook G4 867 MHz that I bought new in November. So it hasn't had much of a chance to accumulate garbage and corruption. The drive hasn't been filled, or even close to it so I'm not worried about fragmentation.

I already have a recent OS install because I was trying to fix the sound delay. That's another story--Apple didn't know what it was even though they have a tech doc describing how the speakers go to sleep!

Anyway, I have Disk Warrior so maybe I'll give that a shot. I just think it's unlikely to be a problem. I'd love to know how to clean install QT but that doesn't seem to be possible.

I would like to apologize for my wife's tone in the previous posts. We are just getting fustrated.

So far we have
reinstalled 6.1
created new users
wiped library folders
ran Disk Warrior
reset PR
reset Motherboard
archive installed OS (back to 10.2.1)
reset FirmWare
fixed Permissions

AND still QT AND iTunes still unexpectedly quits!!!

I am on hold with Apple tech right now.

check your pm's urbansory :rolleyes:

sorry jove, i really do appreciate your position and have been moving all general discusssion posts to this thread to the "Quicktime 6.1 is out" thread where they belong.

please people, leave this thread for replies that might help and take your general appraisals of QT 6.1 to the other thread in the news forum.

created new users

he said he did.

i'm just noticing that you didn't list defragmenting. still worth a shot now that the sysem is definitly repaired of anything that might be wrong.

Good News, I think.

It seems this installer has caused a many people grief. We have joined a number of "QT messed things up" threads on other forums . Varying systems have had an almost random set of problems.

The Apple tech folks showed me how to do the firm ware and permissions fix. The conversation ended when they said "looks like you need to reformat".

The archive install put on 10.2.1 and QT 6.0.1. As a last ditch effort I ran the 10.2.3 and QT 6.1 updaters. Not until both ran did QT start working again!

So I had to do an archive install and rerun both updaters. My only guess is that 6.1 originally messed up part of the system that the archive install does not touch. And only when all updates were applied on a clean system did "things" go right.

Thank you for your time.

great to hear it. and thanks for reporting back with the fix. somebody else might need it. :)

I reran the installer from Apple's website, restarted, and same problem. The player quits on a no-movie open as well.

Jove, when I last checked, the standalone installer on the Apple website was still version 6.0.2. Wait a few more days until they put 6.1 on the website, then run that update over your current installation.

If you don't want to wait a few days, delete the package titled "QuickTimeSU.pkg" in /Library/Receipts/

Then rerun the Software Update system pref. It will offer to install Quicktime 6.1. Don't do it! Go to the Update menu and select "Download Checked Items to Desktop."

Then you'll have a standalone installer for 6.1.

Chris

I assumed the standalone installer was 6.1. Maybe I didn't need to go through the rollercoaster mentioned above. It all works now but thank you for the suggestion. I'll check the version numbers next time :)

Back