New site ready for launch...

That would be nice.

Try it again...I changed the CSS slightly, it might work better...or it might be worse. Who knows? :p

Nope, exactly the same! :(

Don't worry about it, I spent 4 solid days looking into this, staring at a grey box with white borders the whole time! It drove me mental. I stumbled across the table way eventually (since, it had to validate, you couldn't do the normal table tricks either).

Heh, who cares about IE? (j/k).
I personally am designing my site to XHTML Strict, and screw compatibility. I understand that this isn't an option for most people though

Uoba, if your site's aim is standards, then you should also aim for compatibility across everything possible, which may mean creating browser-specific external stylesheets to control the way that a certain browser displays something. I know, I know, it's a pain in the ass...

I know, you're right, I will do it arden. As soon as I find a way of feeding a stylesheet to IE5+ Mac!

Any suggestions?

I personally am designing my site to XHTML Strict, and screw compatibility.
I'm leaning towards this option too ... and then put a sign up when someone tries to access it with IE that says "Your browser is outdated, download an update now: click here." ;) How many people could we switch this way? :D

The whole browser upgrade campaign was years ago cat :) that's mean! Just let the site look decent in IE, you can style with stuff IE just doesn't get. I stopped testing my work in IE pc recently - Mabye a production site would get tested though.
And arden - the point of having one standard is so that every browser renders the same thing identically - not so you can make 5 different sheets to serve 5 different browsers :)
And why not use xhtml strict? It's not much harder then transitional one you learn it, and it's almost identical to xhtml 2.0 which will be a big jump from just xhtml 1. I use the 1.1 doctype!

I would love to design in strict. In fact, my next site on the list (a font site) will follow this route (it won't need to be as fancy as many of the sites we do).

However, I've hit a brick wall with one browser (IE5+ Mac). I am unfortunately going to have to look for a detection script for this and feed it another CSS file. :(

I wouldn't normally bother, but I have a few old acquaintances and clients who work in the design industry, so, yep, they are probably still on OS9 IE5+.

I too have problems with my homepage and IE on both PC (5&6) and Mac (5).
If you find a solution, please post! I have tried some workarounds, but nothing seems to work ... :(

Hey Cat, you studied Husserl! Great. I am studying Philosophy at present (not Degree level but will hopefully one day!)

When I get time I'll have a look at your site (maybe tonight).

Back