New to Mac! Need some help!

desch-stl

Registered
I need to put my photos on Dvd+rw and still be able to add more to the dvd later. I would just like to drag and drop the files onto the dvd just like using a floppy.
Thanks in advance

By the way, only have had the Mac since Saturday and it's the best. Everyone should switch

CDs and DVDs do not work in this way. They can be written to, then erased and re-written, but each time the file system must be written completely. This is a limitation of the media itself (which users a colour reactive dye on an aluminium wafer to record data) and it would be as hard to make a DVD+RW work as a random writable media as it would be to change the order of tracks on one side of a cassette tape without mucking up the other side.

symphonix said:
CDs and DVDs do not work in this way. They can be written to, then erased and re-written, but each time the file system must be written completely. This is a limitation of the media itself (which users a colour reactive dye on an aluminium wafer to record data) and it would be as hard to make a DVD+RW work as a random writable media as it would be to change the order of tracks on one side of a cassette tape without mucking up the other side.
Obviously I am an old windows user and was referring to how some CD-RWs I had were Direct CD formatted, which allowed me to drag and drop files onto a CD-RW. I thought this type of option might be available on the Mac, but, I figured out how to burn a multi session disc, so that will work me just fine.
Thanks for your help.

Actually, it is. If you're using OS X, the minute you insert a blank disc the Finder should prompt you as to what you want to do with said blank disc. It will give you a drop-down list to either show it in the Finder, open it in Disk Utility, and some other option that doesn't come to mind at the moment... :p If you select the option to open in the Finder, the disc will show up in the Finder and you can drag and drop your files right in the disc. They will show up as aliases (aka "shortcuts"), but once you tell the Finder to burn the disc, the actual files will be burned to the disc.

Now, if you aren't getting this dialog box once you insert the blank disc, head to System Preference and check the CD/DVD pane. In there, you can have it prompt you (since you might have told it in the past not to show that message again by checking that option).

Good luck.

Back