[newbie] trouble after reinstall - classic won't run

Zaphod_B

Just me :)
Hi,

I reinstalled my iMac using the MacOS 9 & OS X installation CD's. Here is what I did:

- booted from MacOS 9 CD and repartitioned my HDD:
1 HFS+ for MacOS 9
1 HFS+ for MacOS X
1 HFS+ for Data

- installed MacOS 9 on the first partition
- booted from MacOS X cdrom and installed it on the 2nd partition
- booted into MacOS X

Now when I try to use a Classic app, it won't run Classic saying it isn't there.. So I went into SystemPrefs, to the Classic Preferences. Here I cannot select the MacOS 9 partition to use Classic from. All partititions are greyed out and it says it didn't find any place on my HDD to start Classic from.

What am I doing wrong???

well, you're not giving any mc-chine specs so it is still hard to know exactly. but generally mac osx should be on your first partition and any other systems on following partitions if you insist upon using it this way. except to do repairs and having an alterante, seperate boot disk, there is little reason to partition. If you have an external of any kind you would be better off to put 9.2.2 on the same partion as os x and on your external.

i'm sure others will have more to add. your hardware specs will be helpful to them. btw - there are lots of threads on this subject and the potential reasons already on this site. you might want to do a search or 2.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
generally mac osx should be on your first partition and any other systems on following partitions if you insist upon using it this way
Interesting, I've never heard or read that before, mine is set up the same way (3 partitions, OS9, OSX and storage, in that order).

well, i'm a one partition man. the only things i know about it are from threads on this site. this is one reason i requested more hardware specs - some mac models absolutely require mac os x in the first 8 gb of the first partition. others tend to agree that it's a good idea regardless. the general discussion around this that has occurred somewhat regularly is why i suggested a site search.

so level9, i take it you have no problems and no complaints?

Start up off of 9 and run disk first aid. Make sure everything is ok. Then start up X. Might wanna disk first aid that to (on startup hold apple+s, at command prompt type in fsck-y, when it's done type reboot)

That's my idea for what it's worth. I don't think it has anything to do with partition order. Mine at work was 9 for a long time before i turned a partitioned drive to X. I have no idea the order?!

Ohh and is your 9 the correct version? Doesn't it have to be at least 9.1 to work with X? I don't remember.

Twister

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
so level9, i take it you have no problems and no complaints?
Hi Ed,

No complaints at all. My two machine's running osx have *never* crashed. My Wallstreet, when updating to 10.1.5 had a kernel panic, I'd forgotten I had DoubleCommand on there, even though I knew it would panic if it was there, thankfully I'd read about it days before updating...otherwise I would've gone nuts trying to figure out what it was. My 867 has *never* crashed or had a panic. As a matter of fact, the only times it's been restarted is for system updates, when I went on vacation, and these thunderstorm's we've been getting the last couple of weeks (NYC area).

I remember the 8gig rule, it's my understanding it was for beige G3's only, I had a beige 266 upgraded to a 450 ZIF overclocked to 533. That still is a great machine, and wish I had the room for it where I am now, but unfortunately it's in storage now until I move into a bigger place with an office. Even my 6115 still serves a purpose...holding up the shelf in one of my closet's.

I originally commented because the "partition question" comes up daily, depending on where you hang out. I, for one, will *always* have partitions. There are those who say it's actually faster, well, it's not. I keep partitions "just in case". Amazing how many times you hear "reformat and reinstall", I like the idea I can do that with partitions. Another big plus is the Startup Manager, or picker (holding option on restart), even though I rarely reboot at home, this really comes in handy. :D

I THINK I remember reading this, but I may be incorrect. Somewhere in the documentation for Mac OS X, I thought I read that the first partition had to be Mac OS X, or Mac OS 9, I can't remember. This might pertain to Mac OS X Public Beta. Anyway, it didn't apply to me since I'm a two hard drive man. Mac OS X has its own HD and so does Mac OS 9.

When I purchased Mac OS X, I installed it over my Linux partitions and selected the Classic Mac OS 9 on my other HD - no propblems. Then, much later on, during an Apple udate that went HORRIBLY wrong, Mac OS 9 got hosed and required a complete install from the ground up. Again, no problems getting Mac OS X to see Mac OS 9 on the other HD in System Prefs.

Call Apple Tech Support, they will surely have the answers.

Back