No default application for .pkg files

garysims

Registered
Hi,

I just received my first ever Mac (an Intel Mac Mini to be precise) and I have been starting to learn how to use it.

Today something odd happened, when I click on a .pkg file to install something I get:

There is no default application specified to open the document "X11User.pkg"

There is then a "Choose Application" button but I can't seem to find an appropriate application.

This is true for any .pkg not just X11User.pkg.

HELP!

Thanks,

Gary

The application "Installer" should recognize and open .pkg files. Installer is by default located in your /Applications/Utilities folder. If you don't see it in the "Choose Application" list you're referring to, you can choose "Other..." from that list and find the application yourself.

Alternatively, right-click on the .pkg file itself and choose "Get Info". In the "Open With" area of the info window, choose Installer (or "Other..." and then find the Installer app). Then click the "Change All..." button below this selection and confirm that you want all .pkg files to be opened with Installer.

HTH.

Hi,

Thanks for the advise... I got impatient and am started a re-install of OS X, which I agree is probably a bit drastic considering the circumstances but it also gave me a chance to see how the install process works!

Many thanks again, next time I will try to be more patient!!!

Thanks,

Gary

Back