no PowerMacs @ MWNY? (news.com, thinksecret, macrumors)

fryke

Staff member
Mod
Okay. They all state that there's still an inventory of Quicksilver G4s to be sold before Apple can introduce the new PMG4s. They also state that the iMac will get a 17" LCD. I'd say they'd sell even LESS G4s with the iMac getting nearer and being a 'new machine' with a new display. Am I wrong? I mean, I guess *NOBODY* will buy a G4 right now before MWNY, right? And would they, knowing that the update will come by August as stated in the 'rumours'?

My guess: Apple spreading low-key rumours for MWNY, so people can be really surprised by all the news. My guess: There WILL be new PowerMacs at MWNY. Apple needs at least one big wow at MWNY, and 'news about Jaguar' won't cut it. An iMac with a bigger LCD won't cut it.

I agree fryke, its not believable. Apple needs the exact oppisite of that. iMac stock is high, and revising now will give them cube-like overstocks that they can't sell. Though a side-by-side sale of 15in. and 17in. could work, but there will be no processor upgrades. To think that there would be no PMG4 chages would just be suicidal on the part of Apple. Expo users would throw a fit, mabey even burn down the venue.

Frykes got it right. A Moderate/Large upgrade on the PMG4's, a digital lifestyle device, and jaguar will be the big announcements.

but all logic points to them waiting... While it wouldn't be unheard of for Apple to introduce new PowerMacs while currently running a promo (which ends Aug. 12), it really wouldn't help them clear out the current inventory, which is reported to be pretty high.

The problem is that inventory is high because everybody has been anticipating the new Powermacs coming at MWNY, and anybody considering a purchase in the last couple of months has probably decided to wait for the new machines.

If Apple really wants to clear out the current inventory of QuickSilvers, they need to add a little more incentive to the Crystal Clear Promo. Something along the lines of a $200 rebate on a major app, like either Photoshop, Office, or Final Cut Pro.

You all make good points.
I personally have no idea what the inventory is like. I dont tend to trust news or rumor sites, because its usually 90% b.s.
What I can rely on is if Steve Jobs plans wasting my money to give me a release date on Jaguar, you can bet your left one that me and him are going to tango in the back alley's of the Jacob Javits.
A processor is key at this point. And a major upgrade is choice. Pushing close to 2.Ghz is neccesary. The P4s are expected to hit close to 3 GHz by christmas. Then what? You can't really convince anyone to buy a mac over a PC. Not when they are cheaper and the numbers look better.
Shinny towers, and pretty colors don't cut it anymore.

Originally posted by deagle five o
You all make good points.
I personally have no idea what the inventory is like. I dont tend to trust news or rumor sites, because its usually 90% b.s.
What I can rely on is if Steve Jobs plans wasting my money to give me a release date on Jaguar, you can bet your left one that me and him are going to tango in the back alley's of the Jacob Javits.
A processor is key at this point. And a major upgrade is choice. Pushing close to 2.Ghz is neccesary. The P4s are expected to hit close to 3 GHz by christmas. Then what? You can't really convince anyone to buy a mac over a PC. Not when they are cheaper and the numbers look better.
Shinny towers, and pretty colors don't cut it anymore.

You obviously underestimate PC users. Most PC people, even new buyers, will readily tell you they'd rather get an AMD over a P4 because Intel's numbers mean shit. I mean go to www.cpuscorecard.com and look at how well the G4 fares with the fastest P4.

Andre

msnbc.com is saying the same thing, and they aren't a rumor mill...
but I still hold out hope for faster powermacs..

http://www.msnbc.com/news/778239.asp?0si=-

(pasted from link)

MSNBC is saying 17inch iMac's, new iTunes, The new Power Macs will pack processors in excess of 1.2GHz, along with faster memory and a faster system bus

During his keynote, Apple CEO Steve Jobs is expected to give an August release date for Jaguar, which would be at least a month earlier than expected, sources said. But other sources said Jaguar development is so far ahead of schedule that, barring any last-minute glitches, Jobs may deliver surprise news on how soon the new OS will be ready

Originally posted by Annihilatus

You obviously underestimate PC users. Most PC people, even new buyers, will readily tell you they'd rather get an AMD over a P4 because Intel's numbers mean shit. I mean go to www.cpuscorecard.com and look at how well the G4 fares with the fastest P4.

Andre

This isn't true. Most PC users buy from BestBuy or call up Dell or Gateway and place an order "togo."

Unfortunately AMD is just not available by most consumer PC manufacturers, and when it is, they rarely push it before their Intel boxes. This of course has a lot ot do with politics.

AMD is only on the "todo" list of PC overclockers and hardcore gamers, the rest of the PC community could give a sh*t about AMD. They may buy a box with AMD or not. It mainly depends on what was on special that weekend.

As for the G4, it sucks compared to AMD and Intel's latest offerings. I don't care how fast It can render some image with some Photoshop filter. In real world application, it just can't compete. It's not just the MHz. BUS speed and RAM are killing it as well.

Seriously, if Apple doesn't do something soon, the gap between technologies will become too wide and they'll never be able to recover. It really didn't show with OS 9 but with X, Apple's hardware is begining to really show it's age.

By the time the G5 comes out, is it really going to be that new or revolutionary? I don't think so. AMD and Intel will have come out with 4 generations of processors in the time it took the G5 to see the light of day.

I dunno what Apple is going to do, they are seriously in a rut. If Macs just had the power they needed to run OS X, the advantages of using a Mac would be like night and day.

Originally posted by azosx
This isn't true. Most PC users buy from BestBuy or call up Dell or Gateway and place an order "togo."

Unfortunately AMD is just not available by most consumer PC manufacturers, and when it is, they rarely push it before their Intel boxes. This of course has a lot ot do with politics.

AMD is only on the "todo" list of PC overclockers and hardcore gamers, the rest of the PC community could give a sh*t about AMD. They may buy a box with AMD or not. It mainly depends on what was on special that weekend.

As for the G4, it sucks compared to AMD and Intel's latest offerings. I don't care how fast It can render some image with some Photoshop filter. In real world application, it just can't compete. It's not just the MHz. BUS speed and RAM are killing it as well.

Seriously, if Apple doesn't do something soon, the gap between technologies will become too wide and they'll never be able to recover. It really didn't show with OS 9 but with X, Apple's hardware is begining to really show it's age.

By the time the G5 comes out, is it really going to be that new or revolutionary? I don't think so. AMD and Intel will have come out with 4 generations of processors in the time it took the G5 to see the light of day.

I dunno what Apple is going to do, they are seriously in a rut. If Macs just had the power they needed to run OS X, the advantages of using a Mac would be like night and day.

Before I start, let me say that it's great to see someone as neutral as you. Sometimes it gets tiring to try to debate with fanatics and you seem to see the positive on both sides of the debate.

Honestly, I'm not sure how cpuscorecard.com does its benchmarks considering that a real-world benchmark released a few months ago claimed that the P3-1GHz outperformed the G4. While I find that hard to believe, the benchmark was confirmed by an ASM programmer I know. In fact, while I thought that the smaller pipeline of a G4 was an advantage for speed, the programmer claimed that a pipeline of 20 cycles would be an advantage to any programmer and/or user.

Take it for what you will, this isn't my opinion. Personally I like the smaller pipeline of the G4.

Andre

Did he happen to mention why a longer pipeline would be "an advantage to any programmer and/or user"?

p.s. "Neutral" probably isn't the right word to describe azosx.

Who knows some real data on thinksecret's track record?

I would have to say that they are very reliable, which makes this ever harder to believe.

I don't remember if this is true, but crazyapplerumors.com points out that last year's big finish at MWNY was "iDVD 2 coming soon". As long as the 17 iMac is true they'd be improving their precedent.

I don't think this is a fabricated high level rumor to throw off the public. Apple is just stuck with a loose loose situation. Either risk the old towers sitting on the shelf forever by introducing a new computer early or risk loosing credibility as a "power" mac.

You guys crack me up. As soon as there is a rumor that makes sense but isn't very good you guys make up a conspiracy that Apple is spreading fake rumors to make your expectations lower.... Yeah right, and people never walked on the moon. :rolleyes: :eek:

Back