no privileges with Tiger as ftp client

progginRay

Registered
I just noticed that I can access ftp servers using 'go to' ---> 'connect to server', which is in first sight a cool feature, showing the server on the dektop like a disc.
Unfortunately I am not allowed to read or write on that server, even though I logged in correctly. Any ideas?

It's a much debated point as to whether it's a huge, gaping flaw or the way Apple wants it. The thing we all agree on is that Tiger's FTP doesn't work.

There are many, MANY great ftp clients to be found at versiontracker.com and macupdate.com, however

While I am not sure of who the ... 'The thing we all agree on is that Tiger's FTP doesn't work.' are - entering 'ftp://<username>:<password>@upload.comcast.net', as well as other ISP FTP urls works excellent on a PowerBook, iMac, and PowerMac (within my access) - using 'Tiger' MacOS X 10.4.x.

Naturally, with MacOS X not being real UNIX - its read only 'Finder' based 'FTP' feature does have some usefulness.

I guess what ra3ndy meant was that with read-only, it's just not a full FTP-implementation.

Yeah, i coulda been a bit more specific with the response.

Fryke summed it up pretty well. Guess I just hold onto some bitterness deep down that Apple would package a half-functional FTP client.... but hey, that's what shareware is for.

Back