Norton Utilities upped to version 7.0.1, includes Speed Disk native for Mac OS X!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
Just a note to say that after using LiveUpdate to update Norton Utilities to version 7.0.1, I saw that Speed Disk has been installed, which is now native on Mac OS X.

Yay Symantec!

I know a lot of you are dubious about Norton Utilities, but so far, I have had no problems with either Norton AntiVirus 8.0.1 or Norton Utilities 7.0 (now 7.0.1). I don't think I would buy Drive 10, and DiskWarrior isn't Mac OS X compatible, so Norton Utilities is it for now.

Just thought I'd let anyone interested know about this.

Well, I think I'll only use it on my "experimental" partition for now... ;)
I am one of the many people who got bit by NU 7. I ran the file check portion of Disk Doctor on my primary OS X partition once, and it erased all my system settings and bounced me right back to the registration process.
:eek:

Hmm.. Speed disk for X is really attractive..
But do not use Disk Doctor on X anyway.
It used to mess up your mac.. like authorities of files.

Whenever you wanna fix your disk problem,
Open Terminal and type
" sudo shutdown now " (without "'s)

then mac will take you to command line of bottom system.

and then type
"fsck -y"

Then your disk will be checking just like Disk Utility from Apple.

After fixing disk problems, just type "reboot". Mac will be restart.
Very simple and easy.

I don't think Nu really fix disk problem.

I'm really skeptical of if NUM for OS X does anything (good) at all. Most of the reports I've read said that defragging is unceccessary under OS X, due to the way the UNIX core operates. Not being a UNIX guy, I'm not sure if this is true or not.

I do know that whenever I used NUM7 under OS X, it did create more problems than it solved.

I've used Drive10 for a few issues, and it's seemed to work OK. However, the tool that's worked the best for me is the easy and free "fsck -y" from Single User Mode. It's fixed 90% of my disk troubles.

Disk fragmentation is not an issue on UFS disks. On HFS+ disks, it can be.
I have to give Norton a tentative okay for Speed Disk X, on the basis of one use. I let it defrag my secondary OS X partition, and it seems just a whisker snappier now.
Also, I ran fsck -y when booting up in the newly-defragged partition, and that went faster than I have ever seen. I don't know if that is significant, but it was fun to watch.
:cool:

All these updates coming left-right-and centre.

I just updated to 7.0.1 to find that the speed disk button isn't greyed out anymore, what a relief.

Now Peter has restored my faith in SystemWorks :)

Back