Norton Utils 7.0 doesn't see my drives in OSX!

LORT

Registered
A client of mine deleted the contents of one of her six partitioned drives on her G4 using OS 10.2 and it was important data and needs to be recovered. I tried installing Norton Utilities 7.0 and rebooted, but when I ran UnErase no drives showed up in the UnErase window. Then I tried using Disk Doctor and it too could not see any of the drives. I'm at a loss. Any of you have a similar situation, please let me know what I should do.
Thanks everyone, LORT

How was the data deleted? That may have some bearing on the solution. If the partitions were physically removed via Disk Utility or something else, then that certainly complicates things, and Norton would in fact not "see" any drives to mount.

And -- most importantly -- does your client have a backup?

On the good-natured-ribbing front, your subject line says "my drives" and your message says "A client of mine." Which is it? :D

Do you mean six partitioned drives, or one drive with six partitions?

In any case, Norton's isn't going to help here.

Open Apple System Profiler and see if it locates all the partitions/drives.

You installed Norton, how about trying to boot from the CD. Anyhow, I'm not familiar with that version, I still use 6, and bobW is probably right, I've never tried it, and i doubt if it will work, but booting from the CD is the best way to use Norton from my experiences. If the drives have errors they fail to mount, so you need to run Disk Doctor, which will mount unmounted drives, and if you get a pop-up stating reformat, click cancel, you can likely repair that partition.

This is an updated post to an earlier thread I posted earlier. The original post is as follows:
Norton Utils 7.0 doesn't see my drives in OSX!
A client of mine deleted the contents of one of her six partitioned drives on her G4 using OS 10.2.0 and it was important data and needs to be recovered. I tried installing Norton Utilities 7.0 and rebooted, but when I ran UnErase no drives showed up in the UnErase window. Then I tried using Disk Doctor and it too could not see any of the drives. I'm at a loss. Any of you have a similar situation, please let me know what I should do.

The following is the updated info:
The data was deleted by dumping it in the trash and emptying the trash. There are no problems with the physical hard drives and the partitions, they all mount just fine. There are two physical drives partitioned into 3 separate drives each(6 drives total). There is no backup because my client was actually in the process of backing up her drive onto an external firewire drive when she accidentally deleted the contents of one of her drives. Norton UnErase 6 DOES WORK but only under OS9. It sees all the drives but doesn't find anything recoverable when I use it in OS9. The contents were deleted in OSX and I figured that MAYBE OSX deletes differently than OS9 and that's why I don't find any recoverable data when I use UnErase for OS9. But if I'm wrong and UnErase for OS9 finds the same thing that UnErase for OSX would otherwise find, then it would be pointless to use UnErase for OSX.
Please let me know
LORT

Back