Office v.X killer?...

Old news;) (See Rumours forum)

Anyway, I think Apple is being proactive. This says a lot about the forcoming years where Microsoft Mac apps are concerned.

Great news if you ask me...

I'd love to have an alternative to MS... right now I have to have it installed, since my clients all use it.

I also have to admit, I like Entourage. It is hands down the best email client. Apple's Mail.app is a knock off... with potential.

Yeah, I love Entourage. I have it installed on one comp, but there's no way I'm shelling out for another Office package just to be able to use Entourage on my other Mac...MS went too far at this. Not only have they got outrageous prices, but they cut the free alternative(Outlook).
I'd buy the Sun or get OpenOffice.org package just to give them a bit of competition.

StarOffice has light-years to go before it could possibly compete against MS Office.

I used it for a time in Windows and Linux. It had about 10% compatibility with MS Office for what I needed it for.

If you do all your work in StarOffice it's fine, but if you think you're going to be able to work between StarOffice and MS Office, you're kidding yourself.

The university is pro-MS Office so it's not worth trying to use anything else.

I'd love to see an alternative to MS Office but I don't think it's going to happen during my college career.

WordPerfect Office 2002 is a lot better for working with MS Office. It's actually better all around IMHO.

I really like the original WordPerfect to. I still use WP 5.1 on my PC. The blue screen, no frills, keyboard command interface is so much more productive and easier than any word processor, before or after it. The 2002 version is great as well. Unfortunately it's not available on Mac.

Not light years. It's just not a very good application. But if Apple & Sun are doing help @ OpenOffice.org, this might actually see some light. But - as said on all other threads about this - I still hope for a revamped AppleWorks Office Suite 7 with real, full MS Office compatibility. Or a management buyout: Let the MS MBU work @ Apple. Half of them have been hired off Apple & FileMaker Inc. anyway.

I suppose Microsoft will make a new Word file standard just after Open Office gets released, so that if you use Open Office and not Word 2003, you can't read 90% of the Word files your customers will bring, you know, these files they typed in the default word processor they had with the XP stuff in the white box ;).

Arrgh! I don't understand why people just NEED Word to work !!!

The RTF format is just fine… and AppleWorks is just fine too… I type my text in BBEdit before adding styles in Quark… I suppose fryke and me should agree on this point: no need for Word, just need for a Word interpreter so that we avoid solitude in the computer world ;).

If Apple could just make Appleworks read/write Word and Excel files fully, they'd be good to go. But even if/when they do that. you can bet MS will rework their file save sytem to ruin it.

I like Office, I think it's a great suite, but for what I use it for, I could just as easily stick with Appleworks. The only reason I don't is because you simply have to be able to share trouble-free file formats, and right now those are .doc and .xls files.

You don't see people sending PNG files back and forth even though it's better than JPG/GIF. Apple users can never, ever ever expect to be able to send nonMS files back and forth between their PC clients.

I guess Office X is a waste for me, I mostly use Entourage. I get storyboards in .doc format, and I only write term papers and research papers so often. I actually did use Powerpoint for a presentation for a client, lol, they didn't want flash for easy of use I guess¿?. Office X is solid, but I mainly use Entourage X, hands down the best email app.

Originally posted by azosx

I'd love to see an alternative to MS Office but I don't think it's going to happen during my college career.

WordPerfect Office 2002 is a lot better for working with MS Office. It's actually better all around IMHO.

I really like the original WordPerfect to. I still use WP 5.1 on my PC. The blue screen, no frills, keyboard command interface is so much more productive and easier than any word processor, before or after it. The 2002 version is great as well. Unfortunately it's not available on Mac.

Finally someone who thinks as I do! Don't you think Corel should definetely release WordPerfect for MacOS X? Until then, try WP 3.5e. It's still out there but you have to search really hard. I have just come across an active download site offering the entire WP 3.5e suite for free. Of course, it only runs in Classic.

I have to agree, I really like Entourage, but it really is lacking. I mean, if I had nothing to compare it to but Mail.app, I would have to say that it definitely is the best mail app, and perhaps it is for MacOS X. The sad thing is, I think the MS Outlook part of the MS Office 2000 Suite and MS Outlook Express are both superior in functionality since I use both on the Windows platform when at work or school. MS Outlook for Windows and MS Entourage are very similar so the transition isn't so great. But, I always find myself going to do something with Entourage that I commonly do with the Windows Outlook, expecting it to be the same, and have to go oh darn Entourage doesn't have that feature.

One of the majorly annoying differences is the way it handles newsgroups. I love the way that Outlook under Windows does it with the expanding reply tree structure. I just find that method so much more productive. The Entourage way is to just show every message separately with no intelligent way of associating reply messages with one another. Which really sucks when you've become accustom to the other method. Another one would be that the message menu doesn't have an undelete option for e-mail you have unintentionally marked for deletion in an IMAP account. On the up side, I believe Entourage does handle LDAP directory services better than Outlook on Windows.

A couple people mentioned this:
I suppose Microsoft will make a new Word file standard just after Open Office gets released, so that if you use Open Office and not Word 2003, you can't read 90% of the Word files your customers will bring, you know, these files they typed in the default word processor they had with the XP stuff in the white box.
But the great thing about the OSS is that a work around would be found in less time than it took to develop the new "standard".

If you've got a spare weekend, read www.opensource.org/halloween. The first halloween article is an internal memo which is annotated by the leader of opensource.org and it talks about how to kill Open source. But the annotations point out that all previous attempts to block oss have failed, and that they view such attempts like a bug or virus. We all know how long (relatively speaking) it takes for an opensource project to patch a virus ;) Openoffice may be thrown for a loop if a new standard is announced, but it won't take long to fix.

Back