Ok, this may be a stupid question, but...

buc99

Don't Tread on Me!
I want to connect my Tibook to my imac using afp.

I did it once, but for the life of me I can't remember how.
How is this done again?

Thanks,:)
SA

do you have ethernet on your iMac ?
If so you can connect both macs via ethernet :)
(with a regular cable if you are going through a hub, or a "crossover" cable if you are going port to port :) )

Admiral

Well.. you left alot of holes in your question, but I'll try to answer the best I can :]

First of all, are you networking the two computers together directly? Normally you would need a special networking cable called a crossover cable to directly network two computers together, but it really shouldn't matter what kind of cable you're using to do this because the Titaniums have auto-sensing Ethernet ports on them so they'll work using standard patch networking cable.

I'm also assuming the iMac is running OS X too? If so, just make sure both computers Network preferences have the "Ethernet built-in" network port is active. If they are, make sure under the AppleTalk tab that AppleTalk is active.

From this point, go to the Sharing preferences on each and make sure File Sharing is turned on for both computers. You should be able to see each other on the network now, but if not, try restarting the computer after turning File Sharing on.

Hope this helps.. try to be a little more specific with your questions : ]

...you only need File Sharing turned on on the computer you want to connect to. The computer you're connecting from just needs to have Appletalk turned on.

Sorry, I should have phrased my question better.

Specifically, when I use the Go menu in the finder, what field do I enter to connect to the other computer.

afp://?

I want to log into a data drive on the imac.
Thanks,
SA

OH : ]

You actually don't have to type in an address. Just click the little arrow to the right of the drop down menu. It will expand the window and on the left hand pane of the window it should say "AppleTalk" and "Local Network"

Single clicking the Local Network should show the iMac in the pane to the right of where "AppleTalk" and "Local Network" are displayed. From here.. double click whatever the iMac is named and it will bring up a window where you'll need to input a user name and password to connect to the iMac, or if you have guest access enabled on the iMac, you can simply login as a guest.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
a "crossover" cable if you are going port to port

I've NEVER used a crossover cable in my life. My whole network uses regular ethernet to hook together all of the computers, hubs, router, and airport base station.

Back