old G3 Powerbook into router and print server?

FogKat

Registered
Bought a G4 Aluminum Powerbook recently to upgrade from my G3 Lombard "bronze" with a PCMIA wireless card. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the old G3 as a print server and wireless range extender and/or router.

I live in the basement of a 3-story house. My landlord has a DSL router upstairs which I connect to the net via wireless, but only in a certain part of the basement, otherwise, the signal is too weak.

1) Can I set up my G3 so that it's connected via USB to my printer, and then communicate a print job from my wirelss G4 to the G3, so that I don't have to connect my G4 up to the printer via USB every time I want to print?

2) Can I use my old G3 also as any kind of wireless range extender or DSL router such that the signal from my landlord's router upstairs is stronger throughout my basement apartment?

A: 1) Yes, that's quite easy. In the "sharing" devision in your sys prefs, you can switch on "Printer-sharing". All printers connected to your PBG3 are now accessible through "rendezvous" (or bonjour).

A: 2) This is possible if internet is provided by an Airport. I tried to make it work with non apple wireless routers, but I never succeeded.

Back